ignition timing questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwvanman0

Reaction score
Tried to time the crew cab today,im a bit worried as what to set it at,engines just gone in.

Engine is a 1641,
with scat cam,not sure what but equivelent to engle 110,
twin 36 dellorto carbs,
and 009 distributer.

Set points,tappets etc.
Tried it at 6 and 8 degrees btdc,wasnt too bad but theres slight popping when you go from idle to revving,
moved it to 10 degrees and it seems better but is that not too advanced?
Ive read it should be 30 degrees at 3000 rpm but without a rev counter how can you judge it?

help please. its doing my head in,it doesnt sound to be running just right somehow.

I set mine at full advance with no rev counter. You should find if you rev it there comes a point where it doesn't advance any more and I thinks that about the 3000 rpm upwards so hold the revs on via the choke or wedge the throttle open at the point the is stops advancing. Then set the timing with a strobe.

Of course if someone posts different to this then mines probably wrong as well.

Araon will be a long in a short while i'm sure ........

Yeah, doesn't need to be exactly 3000 - that's just a guide as the full advance RPM can vary.

Is it a genuine 009 or a new repro? The variations of the repro one's is the reason you can't set it at 7.5 degrees at idle, because the advance can differ from one distributor to another, hence the advice to set it at a max of 30 degrees when its fully advanced and just let the idle be at what ever it falls at, this unfortunately means it might not fall at 7.5 degrees and therefore can have a poor idle/initial acceleration.

I really think its time to buy yourself a timing light that has advance on it this way you can set it up perfectly (and if you think about it, the engine isn't cheap compared to a decent timing light).

Thanks guys,pretty sure its a propper 009 not a repro,
i do have a timing light but its just basic one,guess its time to invest in a better one,
will have a look what it reads with some revs on.

Couldnt face it today,im sick of the sight of my engine,my original engine ran great for years with only basic servicing,and since i had the new engine built/put in ive had nowt but problems! :(

It would run better with a vacuum/mechanical distributor as fitted to late 1600 twinport bays :)

They are an advanced version of the 009, which vary the advance partly upon the engine RPM and partly on the engine load, giving (in theory) a couple MPG more, and smoother take-up on acceleration.

8)

Think i may have a vacum advance distributer deep in my shed,
I checked the timing at 3000 ish revs and its now bang on,my problem is that its running on 3 cylinders,no change in engine note when i pull no4 lead off the plug,or screw the mixture screw full in,there is a spark so i guess its time to strip my carb down! thanks guys.

but its running fine on the other 3?

so why strip the carb, wot condition is the plug in? how do you know its sparking? is it a big powerfull spark? etc......

Araon said:
but its running fine on the other 3?

so why strip the carb, wot condition is the plug in? how do you know its sparking? is it a big powerfull spark? etc......

Sounds like either a lack of spark/ weak spark or maybe low or no compression on No.3, doubt it would be the carb if the other 3 cylinders run fine.

Valve clearances fine,compression fine,(same as other cylinders) Borrowed a proper strobe the time it and check dwell,nice big fat spark at the plug,plug correctly gapped.

Was reading my dellorto carb tech book and as all above were ok it then says its probably a blocked idle circuit.

Engine has twin 36 dellortos.I have taken the carb off that feeds no 3 and 4 cylinders as the problem seems to be fuel in cylinder 4 at idle,turning the mixture screw on that cylinder full in/out makes no change to engine note,but when its revving its ok,idle jet is clear,so im thinking the blockage must be in the carb somwhere,im planning on stripping it and blowing it out with compressed air.took it off today and despite my 2 in line fuel filters it is a bit crappy inside.

I'd get rid of the one between pump and carb, it's under pressure when the needle valves are closed and
a possible fire hazard.

sorry to hi-jack post, just doing some re-search going to time my 009 over the weekend. So i gotta hold the engine at 3000rpm and set the ignition timing to 30 degees BTDC?

cheers :)

rubberdubber said:
sorry to hi-jack post, just doing some re-search going to time my 009 over the weekend. So i gotta hold the engine at 3000rpm and set the ignition timing to 30 degees BTDC?

cheers :)

Yes. 8)

Latest posts