indicator auto cancel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMC

Reaction score
my right indictor won't cancel automatically and my left indictor I have to hold as it won't stick on. Its not a show stopper but slightly annoying. I'm guessing after 37 years its showing its age. Anyone know a fix or is it a new unit job? The whole switch assembly got stuck the other day but the WD40 did the trick.

As far as I understand it you have to set the bit with the stalk exactly 2mm from the base of the steering wheel.

The indicators on our '68 don't auto cancel either way, I just assumed that's the way they were?

My 1970 doesn't auto cancel either maybe there was a cut off point when they changed them?

But it does sound like your indicator stalk may have twisted slightly,so I would follow Speedwells advise.On mine a thin metal strip has been added around the column so the indicator stalk can grip it tightly to stop it twisting.I don't have the auto cancel switch though?

I took my steering wheel off yesterday as it hasn't sat straight since doing all the work I've done,anyway mine does have auto cancel,the steering wheel was fitted the wrong way round! So after fitting it on correctly and adjusting the switch and slight bending to the tab on the steering wheel it now works ok.

So you should get it working ok with a bit of adjusting MMMC. Unless the indicator unit is broken

That's interesting. I assumed that my '69 didn't have auto cancel, but when I took the indicator switch off, it does have the cancel mechanism although I couldn't set it up to work. Next time I'm in there, I'll have a look at the other side of the wheel to see if mine's the wrong way round.

right this weekend I'm going to have a look...it did auto cancel a few times but then gave up. It sounds from what people said that the housing has moved. Will update when I've had a look. Ta for the tips

My crossover doesnt auto cancel, recently I fitted a new indicator switch and found the bit that cancels is snapped off, is this part of the steering wheel or a seperate ring?

on my 1970,it is a part which unscrews from the steering wheel,a thin metal ring with a stepped tag on it.

Ithink thats what ive got only the tabs been broken off, anyone got a spare? :(

Latest posts