Installing H4 Headlights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunning plan

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Clipper / Microbus
From the fragments of information I have read, I understand a good upgrade to the headlights is to install H4 lights from a Golf?

What do I need to know?

I am currently designing a custom loom and I want to make sure I make any allowances to fit H4's so it is all tidy.

:?:

US bus?then the golf headlamps are a simple swop,3 screws the same.I would put relays in to feed fuse box for headlamps to take load of headlamp relay and also use later style.same with hazards use later relay and switch if yours has early 68 type.just makes repacing easyer.

Ah okay.

No, mines a UK bus, so will the mounting holes be different, but the electrics are as you describe?

Thanks,

you can get conversion bulbs,410 fitting(standard bulb no)with h4 elements.buggerd if i can remember the bulb no though.rest of wiring the same 8)

You can buy rings that convert your existing headlamps to take a h4 bulb, got mine off eBay for about £3 a few years ago. Better than using conversion bulbs because you can choose which h4 bulb you want to use.

Loxy said:
You can buy rings that convert your existing headlamps to take a h4 bulb, got mine off eBay for about £3 a few years ago. Better than using conversion bulbs because you can choose which h4 bulb you want to use.

Have you got a link dude to show me what I am looking for?

Cheers, 8)

They are like the ones on here:
http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/shop/bulbs/yellow.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will have a search & see if I can find them, did also read somewhere that you can adapt an old bulb base to make an adaptor for the new type too.

I upgraded to MK1 Golf Hella lamps. It's a good idea all round. No need to modify anything and you can use 3 quid each bulbs.

speedwell68 said:
I upgraded to MK1 Golf Hella lamps. It's a good idea all round. No need to modify anything and you can use 3 quid each bulbs.

Ah now! Sir, that is what I was after!

8)

Plan! :satanlook:

(Cheers anyway Loxy ;) )

cunning plan said:
From the fragments of information I have read, I understand a good upgrade to the headlights is to install H4 lights from a Golf?

What do I need to know?

I am currently designing a custom loom and I want to make sure I make any allowances to fit H4's so it is all tidy.

:?:

There are two main issues with fitting golf/h4 units to an early van. You need to see if your headlight bowls have the 3 tabs to fix them in place (they may have, especially if you have replaced your front panel in the past). And the other thing is the look of them on the van, as they do not have the convex glass like early lamps do, H4s are flatter. Appart from that its dead easy. And they are cheap!

you can get new hella one screw units that fit 4h bulbs direct into the reflector bowl. LHD only though.

You might be disappointed though - 99 out of 100 people trying to improve their headlamps with H4 bulbs find they already have them - these haven't just been invented you know. ;)

Latest posts