Instrument cluster panel tart up

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killaybay

Reaction score
My instrument panel is looking really grotty so I've taken it off and was thinking of spraying it and the glove box lid so at least two bits of the van will look decent! :shock: Any tips on prepping the surfaces and products to use.
Thanks in advance.

Because the plastic is textured, I can only suggest spirits and/or panel wipe to get it as clean as possible.
As for paint... not my area of expertise, but I would look at finding an aerosol that's designed for use on plastics. If you use the wrong type you may find that it flakes off way too easily.

Cheers George, used Autoglym vinyl restorer and it has come up a treat. Next stop glove box, living the dream!!!!!!

Clean with soap and hot water i used washing powder (don't use washing up liquid as it leaves a film on the plastic) then a good wipe with degreaser, then spray with plastic primer leave overnight to dry, then the colour leave overnight to dry, then a clear lacquer, you can get all these in aerosols from any good paint shop, don't use the crap from Halfords ect it wont last. Remember preparation is the key

Hope this helps
Vinvan

it can be done simply as stated above, first clean with anything, but i used good old soapy water, then use a professional panel wipe..leave to dry, then dedicated plastic primer.. leave to dry (and don't touch it without nitrile gloves on) follow with final paint, i had mine mixed to match my leather in a semi gloss and be careful if you follow with lacquer they often react badly with the base coat!

mine has been painted and used for 2 yrs+ now without issue :)

hope that helps
Liam

Latest posts