insulating headlining optoins

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeboll

Reaction score
would appreciate some advice, we are getting a full length headlining put in whilst the van is being resprayed - what insulation have people put in? thinking foam bonded to roof or that alu bubble foil stuff? any other options?

also - is it worth bothering for summer only camping?

I used sound deadening pads bought on Amazon applied with hot hair dryer.
I then covered the mats with 6mm closed cell foam .
Have a butchers on page 5 of my resto thread .
GLADYS" GOING BACK TO BEIGE" 68 RESTO.
When you tap the roof from the outside it sounds like you are knocking on an oak door !

I used dynamat over about 30% of the area! then 50mm of sheeps wool insulation. Worked well above he cab, but ended up sliding the wool onto the void between the two sections of steel roof in the back (westy poptop)

It's worth doing some sound insulation like silentcoat panels or dynamat. VW didn't use anything for this, but all vehicles do now.

For heat insulation IMO, it's as much about insulating the metal surface as much as keeping you a bit warmer. I mean stopping damp air, from sleeping in the bus, condensing on the cold metal roof or sides etc, and then causing rust. VW used glass fibre matting/padding. The new insulation shouldn't be too squashed behind the panel, so there is some circulation of air.

My glass fibre padding just turned to dust when I took it out (dust mask!) so I'm going to use some 35mm polyester insulation, I got from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321628168148?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

I did the roof of my tintop panel with the noise-killer foam that is sticky-backed, bought it from Camper & Bus show whilst on special with no P & P, well impressed with it and if I were to ever do another I would be happy to pay full whack and use it again. Used the bus for the arse-end of the show season, as it needs work doing around the screen I had not done the cab section so it was quite a shock to see the condensation on that part of the roof...

thanks chaps, lots to consider - we are definitely going to insulate under the headlining, going to use the same stuff as the silver thermal insulation for windows bonded to the roof which should provide both an insulation layer and a vapour barrier to condensating on the roof

pics will follow..

Latest posts