Intermitant mis-fire

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickJ

Reaction score
Hello, I've a problem with my '72 1641 , a few weeks ago I managed to jam the throttle fully open against the alternator when driving down a local bypass, it was a bit of a "brown trouser" moment as I approached a roundabout with the engine reving like mad when I dipped the clutch. Managed to cut the ignition and coast to a safeish place to stop and freed the throttle mech, it was then running a bit lumpy but seemed to clear, I drove home and had a better look, couldn't get the mech to jam again so I'm not to sure how it did it last time! But it seemed to be running fine now . I hadn't driven it for a couple of weeks then took it out & drove about 6 miles then it started to run really rough it sounded like it was on it's last legs so I headed home and after about a mile it just cleared and ran fine all the way home.
It has an accuspark "009" distributor fitted, this has been on it for about 8-10 years, if this was starting to fail would it just stop working or could it be intermitant like this, but this only started after the engine had done some very high reving, I'm not sure how high it actually got.
Any thoughts on this greatfully received, thanks.

The accuspark could go intermittently faulty but I would just start with the basics first before thinking that is the cause. Check valve gaps, timing and spark plugs. Hopefully it’s something simple to fix .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

One other little thing that pops up from time to time is the red plastic cable / guide / protector/ thingy that’s on the accelerator cable. If your set up for the cable outer and guides is anything less than perfect, this little red thing can jam right at the front as the cable disappears down the tunnel. Then once you’ve lifted off and it goes back in it’s tube, no one is any the wiser. Once it’s happened, it’ll jam it open more and more frequently as the nick in the red bit gets bigger. If your cable is ok otherwise, I’d have a good look then Stanley him off very carefully , you’ll see where he jams. :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,ask me how I knows :mrgreen:

Latest posts