Intermittent wipe for less than a tenner!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pow

Reaction score
One thing tha has always hacked me off about my van is the lack of intermittent wipe, on every other car I drive I can get intermittent wipe (standard) that I can either alter the time between wipes or wipes the screen automatically!

So I took action today and with a simple interval timer module circuit (http://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/velleman-vm136-interval-timer-module" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), a 4pin relay and a project box.

If anyone is interested ill knock up a circuit diagram and upload a few pics tomorrow? Instead of my switch going off slow fast, it now goes off intermittent slow... Never used the fast setting anyway!

That sounds interesting.

There were Hella aftermarket units available through the dealer network back in the day, I have one in the van, but they are quite rare.

The other more widely available delay wipe units available at the time were useless since they did not take account of the earthing motor brake that prevented "run on". Hence if one fitted a simple wiper delay it went up in a puff of smoke as it tried to supply power to an earthed circuit. :lol:

Definitely, after driving through every type of rain over the last two days, ( went to the Hop Farm, camping where Chill & Grill is) was thinking what a pain it is. Wanna be concentrating on the road and not the wiper switch!

Can I ask you guys what the arrangement on the back of your wiper switch is? I've got a new loom and I have:

Green going to 30 (power in)
Blue to 53b (fast speed)
Green/red to 53 (slow speed)
Black to 31 (earth)

I have a few unused pins on the back of my switch... Is that normal?

Interested...

I wonder if the switch could be modded so that turning it will alter the timing? Always wanted to add an electric pump for the washer on a separate switch anyhow...

Jim

I sure you could if you wanted to... While I had the switching out I did this as I've got an electric washer bottle and pump, got rid of the silly switch hanging off the bottom of the dash that I put in as a temporary measure :)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Righty ho then:

Perhaps someone with stock wiring can verify that this will work for others as liek I said, I have a new loom that I bought last year.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot and will not be held responsible from any damage that may happen to your van if you do this mod. I have completed it safely and it works for me but due to the differences in wiring looms etc etc etc it may not work for you. Only carry this out if you are confident working with car electrics and know what your doing with each wire.

On my wiper switch I have the following connections:

30, +12v in, Green Wire
53, Slow speed, Red/Green Wire
53b, Fast Speed, Blue Wire
31, Ground, Black Wire.

So moved the slow speed (Red/Green) wire to the fast speed pin (53b), powered the timer circuit from the slow speed pin (53), used the pulse output from the circuit (NO) to power a standard 4 pin relay (as the timer circuit can only handle 3 amps, less than the wiper motor uses!) and fed the output from that BACK to the slow speed wire. I checked with a multimeter and it seems that the switch doesn't apply any power to the 'fast' pin while the slow one is switched on so it was safe to piggy back to it in my book.

Remember to fuse the +12v feed to the relay and I'd also recommend sticking a little 500Ma fuse just before the timer circuit, bit I like to live on the wild side so I didn't :lol:

You then tweek the time that the pulse works for and then the pause between time - I got OCD here and sat in the 4 cars on the driveway and timed their intermittent wipe then worked out an average :lol:. After that I chucked all of the gubbins in a £3 maplins project box and cable tied it behind the clocks out the way.

Scribbled paint diagram:

intermittentwiper.jpg

Box:

20130824_171417.jpg

20130824_172844.jpg

Like I said - be careful - I'd hate for anyone to blow up a wiper motor because of wiring differences!

I also used this lovely website to work out how the motor/switch works :)

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/wiper.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the_troupster said:
Interested...

I wonder if the switch could be modded so that turning it will alter the timing? Always wanted to add an electric pump for the washer on a separate switch anyhow...

Jim

Hang on - do you pull your switch to turn it on/off? Mine turns, then the centre is a push for the washer!

pow said:
the_troupster said:
Interested...

Jim

Hang on - do you pull your switch to turn it on/off? Mine turns, then the centre is a push for the washer!

Ignore me :msn4:

:lol:

Must of got confussled with the headlight switch there for a moment. Thanks for the pics will keep in mind for the Winter. Did I read somewhere that T25's have an intermittent relay? I might read up on that later this eve...

Jim

:lol: I thought so :lol:

Thing with relays from other cars is they are normally designed to work with the whole system from that car - switch and motor.

Anyway, this worked for me and I'm happy with it - cruise control next :D

http://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/velleman-vm136-interval-timer-module" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As per the first post :)

I wonder if you could put the pot somewhere dash mounted - that way the intermittent could be adjusted like modern cars so
you'd have a intermittent wipe that was adjustable all the way up to the normal slow speed, and then fast??

interesting thanks for posting...

Latest posts