• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

ipod/MP3 player adaptor for use with Genuine VW radios...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Oakley

Reaction score
As you may have noticed, I occasionally sell a Blaupunkt radio or two on the forum. Most of these radios have a 6-pin MONO DIN socket on the rear allowing you to connect to an external device such as an ipod or MP3 player. You can then play your ipod tunes through the radio.

People very often ask me where to obtain the correct MONO cable from to connect their ipod to the radio. The cheap and easy option is to buy a 6-pin DIN to 3.5mm jack socket 'straight through' cable. There are several different types (ie: with different wiring configurations) but you can get the correct one from a few places for £15 or so. HOWEVER, these cables are a pain in the arse! If you wish to switch between ipod and radio functions, you have to fiddle behind the dashboard and literally unplug the DIN connector at the rear and then re-insert it when you want to listen to the radio. Very inconvenient.

The solution? A 'switched' adaptor. I will be making up a handful of these adaptors over the weekend if time permits. The switched adaptor solution has one cable with a DIN connector that plugs into the back of the radio- at the other end of this cable is some switching circuitry in a box with an input jack socket. This (grey) cable with box remains always connected to the radio.
A second cable (black cable) is then used to connect from the jack socket on the box to the ipod. When this second cable is disconnected, the radio is functional. When you connect this second cable with ipod attached to the box, the box switches over from radio to ipod. It's a really neat solution!

Price, £30 posted.

DSCF1815.JPG

DSCF2018.JPG

DSCF2020.JPG

6-pin socket...
$(KGrHqQOKpEE25vTwFQ0BN58VYfkTg~~_12.JPG

Started at 7am this morning and now have three made. They're pretty labour intensive!

Wilf- dropped you a PM.

Beigebay- I also have radios for sale too.

and a further tip to minimise fiddling about while on the move,
I fixed the adapter to the dash
pics of my setup below, apologies for poor light but it's in the garage
ipod dock in the ashtray, one end of jack cord plugs into dock, other into adapter on dash

IMG_2538.jpg

and when you're parked up, it all tucks neatly away

IMG_2543.jpg

I bought my radio from Rich a couple of years ago and the adapter from Germany, works a treat

gerry

Hi Rich, do you still have these switchable 6pin to 3.5 jack leads (presuming all old blaupunkts are 6 pin) finally getting round to lookingat my interior. Not got an ipod but have a sony experia phone that does pretty much the same thing, and the ashtray holder looks a goer for that sat nav function too

thanks
Karl

Nugsy said:
Hi Rich, do you still have these switchable 6pin to 3.5 jack leads (presuming all old blaupunkts are 6 pin) finally getting round to lookingat my interior. Not got an ipod but have a sony experia phone that does pretty much the same thing, and the ashtray holder looks a goer for that sat nav function too

thanks
Karl

Hi Karl,

Sorry, all sold now and I won't be making any more.

Regards,
Rich.

Latest posts