Is there a knack to fitting exhaust clamps?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termite

Reaction score
I spent absolutely ages yesterday in the cold and dark trying to fit my exhaust and I was having massive troubles with the exhaust to heat exchanger clamps where they go around the donut and two steel rings. I just could not get the new clamps to fit as the bolts didn't seem quite long enough and ended up using a mismatch of old and new (not that that matters I don't think). But even then, it took ages to try and thread the nut on as the engine suppor bar always seemed in the way.

Is there a knack to putting these things on? I as suspecting that next week once I put the electrical stuff back on the engine and start it up I'm going to have a blow as I can't get them tight enough. Is it worth putting a jack under the engine and taking the engine support bar off as it gets in the way? Anyone got any good tips?

Yeah, mine's an early with removable balance. Wish I had taken the support bar off now as those clamps were a right git!

Have you managed to use new ones from fitting kits with no problems?

I got some off my mate but i have heard that some are better than others :roll:

I really could do with getting under mine and checking them all again as its done a few hundred miles and i dont trust them :lol:

Yeah, just wondering whether to whip the engine siupport bar off to give them a good tighten up or see how they go as tight as they are at the moment.

I've had tow kits and neither of them had bolts that seemed long enough

They are possibly one of the worst things I've had to do on it. Might think a bit differently if it was a nice day and sunny! :lol:

Yep right ball ache of a job , it was like a game of twister trying all sorts of positions to get them on , left one was easier than right though :msn4:

Chris

Yeah, I found the left one easier as it was past the lip of the support bar and I could lie under the van to get to it. The right was was in front of the lip and was a proper bugger.

if you didnt know how to swear before you will be fluant after,prob invent some new ones :msn4: are you fitting the crap one piece clips or two part ones.never managed to get thouse one part ones to work cos there made to small,allways use beetle fitting kit cos it has the 2 part ones .still a bitch though.

Two part ones. Can never get the nuts on both bolts using the ones that come with it. They are like 5mm shorter and that's what you need to start it off.

Latest posts