Is this a Dormobile?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orbeev

Reaction score
Hello, just joined.

Ive just purchased the below & would like to know what conversion it is.

The pop top has two bunks & it pushes straight up.

It has no skylines in the top either.

Interior i don't know if original, It has been taken out and its not all there.
No cooker etc

Due to the fire damage, I cant read the converters plate on the rear.

Thanks for your time.

VWcampersideview.jpg

VWcamperrearview.jpg

No not a Dormobile,the roof doesn't come forward enough,looks like a Danbury or a Devon ?

Welcome to the forum dude,whats the story with the camper?

I reckon it's a Danbury have a look at this thread here.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1421

Hi there, thanks for the quick reply

I had Splitty's in mid 80's which i sold for a grand DOH! and I gave my spare one away to Wayne @ Volkshaven.

IF only I Knew!.

Just before Christmas a Chap came round to check out my T4 and had this cool T2, which just sent me straight back to my early days.

T4 130bhp is now for sale , and my luck, he had this bay which because of his workload was going to waste.

He's made such a good job of his, I just had to get one.

I think he got it from an auction, and it is in Volksworld I believe (in the background) at a show???

Thats all I know @ moment. :?

Checked out link

It looks like one of those dude, Thanks

I just didn't know any that lifted straight up,

Just getting back into the scene so please bear with me.

It has the sink seat/bed and back top locker still there.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Got to finish off my Caddy pickup next weekend then I can start.
OOhhh! :D

Good luck with it,thats pretty much how mine looked when I first got it,not very pretty is it? But don't despair it can be repaired.Start at the bottom and work your way up.Take loads of pictures and show us all please.

Cheers fella's

My biggest nightmare will be the guttering round the back and roof.

I will get it done but not looking forward to it, as it got to be right.

Im saying that now but haven't started to strip down the rest. DOH!

Who can you recommend as a supplier of this profile, in anyones experience. or is it available from most places.

:?

Welcome to earlybay forums :D

I *think* JK (just kampers) sells guttering. I'll have a look on their site. :)

edit:

http://shop.justkampers.com/product_info.php/products_id/9690

Currently not in stock. Maybe VW heritage or similar would also sell it. Corners are the tricky parts though.

I've used Schofields,VW Heritage,Cool air and Just Kampers,they're all pretty much the same if you're using repro panels.The so called Genuine panels offered aren't much better than repro as they're just made in the brazillian VW factory.What you really want is proper VW NOS which is hard to find and expensive.Or use good cuts from a dry climate bus where you can.
Don't worry about the guttering until you've tackled the underneath,cut all the belly pans off first if they're still fitted.You can buy lengths of guttering with a bit of roof attached in metre lengths.Apart from corners,you'll have to modify for the corners.

Cheers for that

I used Schofields in the past for my other van as it need a new nose and alot of other bits.

Yes its the corners.

Belly pan's are still intact, so don't know the extent as yet! :?

Ive got to say, First impressions it does look quite good (time will tell)

On the otherside it needs both mid & back panels as they have been dented out from the inside.

I would like to fabricate the early rear lights in also, (just my thing!)

Thanks again. :)

welcome... :)

looks like a danbury, early devons had the two piece concertina roof, the later one piece flat canvas started in 72 on, as you have a cross-over (>72) theres a chance, but from that profile im 99% sure its danbury as the devon roof had sharper lines.

what arrangement was the interior?

Hi there

The interior has been taken out and is just loose inside for the sale, so Im unsure of how it all went?

Not sure if it is from this van.

I will try and take some pictures of what i have.

Thank you for your input :)

Hi

Yes it definately looks like a Danbury - you can make ou the matchbox sized space where teh nameplate was under the rear hatch. Also Danbury will likely have red and white striped pop-top canvas. Also it is likely to have the factory option belly panels fitted which are a real PITA.
If you follow the full thread of Campandans resto (see previous link)
you can see that they lead to rotting out of sills and possibly chassis rails
:(

Your two critical jobs will be belly pan removal followed by inevitable repair and replace of sills and then the guttering.

If it has rotted through in the gutter corners it may have also rotted the roof superstructure - which can be bad - some picture exist on here where braver people than I have done roof chops..

Also you will probably need to look at the windscreen surround inner front valence new arches, b-pillars, c-pillars, rear corners, slide door repairs etc.. etc..

Still on the plus side you did get a tow-bar thrown in !

Good luck and welcome

James

james_stan

Thanks for that.

It was the Tow bar that sold it for me :D

The belly pans you describe look really good in condition.
I will not hold my breath on that.

The canvas is green & white If i remember. Will check that tomorrow.

And post the interior parts.

The matchbox plate was toasted,

Thanks for the Welcome's also

Cheers

Latest posts