Is this common?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigG

Reaction score
Was on a Forum for a perticuler 70s car I own, a resto project and happened to mention I might sell it when I get a guy telling me how hes been looking for an unmolested project with history just like mine and how much etc so I give him all the details.
Now the guys about 300 miles away so asks for as many pics and details as poss, so off i go and take about 40 odd pics, download them 1 by 1 onto photobucket (before I knew you could do all at once :roll: ) and send them all to him via a number of PMs with all the details. perfect he says just what hes after but first had to run it by his missus. 3 days later he tells me he has an OK from her and wants to pop up but is away for 10 days and would call me as soon as he returned to arange a time.
Hes been back nearly 2 weeks and no contact or messages, his names been popping up on the forum and now hes asking another seller if he can have loads of pics as hes really interested in his car :evil:
Is this common? are there really people who are as a mate of mine calls them 'Picture collectors'

To be honest sounds like a scammer.
They ask for loads of pictures then list it on eBay pretending its their vehicle, happened to a mate of mine.
Could be worth having a search on all the usual suspects to see if its for sale.
Hope not and good luck.

Could be worth putting his user name on here just incase it pops up

Pretty certain hes legit and its a project car worth about 8 or 900 quid tops so prob not worth scamming but surely after my effort a simple message to say hes not interested would have been nice :cry:

8 or 900 is well worth scamming it can run and run and being a project its less obvious.... but yeah there are picture collectors

I've had the exact same thing happen to me - almost word for word!

Don't you just love time wasters :evil:

I get this all the time with a mint early Audi 100 I have and am trying to sell.

Got fed up with taking 'new' pics as the car is that same as put away almost 5yrs in good dry storage, it is rare as rust free but getting p*ssed off with timewasting dreamers and to*sers.

Sad to say but put it back up for sale and wait for the next person -who hopefully won't live 500 miles away or needs to check with their mum / great Aunt / Wife / Vet..........or can I put it straight through an MOT after 5yrs storage...............Rant over and good luck with the sale

:lol: Looks like its more common than I thought, Im not even that bothered about selling it, its an old E21 BMW and he was going on about how hard it was to find a project with a good shell and a full history, told him I had one and would be willing to part with it to some one more enthusiastic.
Just cant see why someone cant just say they changed their mind or have found something else :roll:
To be honest I would rather swap it for something Bay or Lambretta related I cant honestly remember the last time I sold a car or bike with out any sort of messing, If I like something and the price is right I just want to get it home and start playing :)

Just out of interest - he's not from Birmingham, just got married and has been working at the Olympics has he?

My Mk1 GTI is a rare colour, full history and in need of tlc....... Our stories sound so alike - Hmmmm

hes from somewhere on the south coast, I just reckon theres a course for time wasting which is why theres so many like him :lol:

its a hobby for bored people ... :evil:

they do it thinking that there on farcebook ...

i get the same sellin stuff on ebay.... some just people talk .. others buy..

Going to have to disagree here fellas.

Yes it would have been polite for the person in question to reply to the emails, but how else would he get a true idea of what the bus is like without detailed pictures. The UK is big, the roads are shit and we're all busy people. I can't take time out of my week to travel to see a bus, get there and be dissapointed.

I collected pictures from a few people before I bought my pickup, but always responded politely and let them know I wasn't interested. When the time came I put my money where my mouth was and bought one I was happy with.

I think this comes with the territory. If you're selling an old car you're going to get hassled. Spend the time, take heaps of detailed pictures, upload them on an online album and just advertise the link. Keeps the pic hunters happy and saves you some time. ;)

Dont have a problem sending pics or details, I sent him 42 pictures all with descriptions and details about everything I could think of I would have sent a whole lot more if he wanted and will do to anyone else interested.
I appreciate distances people have to travel and peoples busy lives and my time is precious too.
im just blowing off a little steam as the guy told me it was just what he was looking for, never questioned the asking price then told me he was away for 10 days and would contact me as soon as he returned to arrange to come and see me, that was nearly three weeks ago. The guy has every right to change his mind for whatever reason and to look at as many cars as he wants but would he have been happy if he contacted me to be told I sold the car to someone else? surely a simple message wouldnt have been dificult.
Hes asked the same of 2 other sellers on the forum and as far as I can see their cars are still for sale so thats a lot of pics in his inbox. But your right, it does go with the teritory and ive learned how to use photo bucket now ;)

I was selling a Mk2 GTi on another VW forum and I was amazed how many times I was offered (lower) prices for it on the strength of a few photos, and in every case the buyers faded away when I suggested they might want to drive it, view it etc before bargaining a price ... even if I offered a glimmer of hope on the deal they 'always' were waiting to sell theyre own car, waiting for a pay bonus or money owed from a mate etc etc
In the end Ive used eBay as I reckon I prefer the more clinical approach, on forums there is a 'matey' aspect that can abused, whereas on eBay its strictly business and you can bin off the messers and not take any shite.

Equally I tried buying a car a couple of years ago and the seller wouldnt arrange a convenient viewing ... always working long hours and when he wasnt he wanted 'family time' and refused to get the car wet! Fair dos, it was his perogative, but he lost his sale with me.

Latest posts