Is this correct ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiplee123

Reaction score
It's on eBay
Early bay window low light with rear pop top

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200999362585?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this an after market addition?
I've just asked the chap but it was like it when he purchased it and he couldn't help?

No its not, its a late bay roof thats been fitted to an early, the problem with this is the late bay westy had a different roof profile at the back (more flatter section) and if you look at the interior pictures it looks like the hole in the roof had been made bigger to accomodate the later westy roof profile.

To be honest theres something not right about the bus in general, listed as a 1971 but on 72 plates but not a crossover, could have been in stock at a dealer for a while but these anomolies always make me suspicious.

The current owner probably bought it as it is but if it was me I'd be asking what the chassis number, build date is etc, etc.

Since both model year production and the registration letter changed in August it doesent seem all that odd to me. Surely a vehicle manufactured in say may 71 might well get registered in August, especially if it had a camper conversion?

Though Graham is right, always check the chassis number stamped in the engine compartment.

Fitting a later westy roof was/is popular. They are after all one of the best looking when folded down.

I wouldn't be put off this vehicle only by the reg plate or the roof but would take the time to check it out thoroughly.

Ps a 71 will have a twin port engine and the engine in the photo is a twin port.

looking at the picture of the dash board it shows two levers,one for fresh air and the other for the heat exchangers............
i have four levers,two for fresh air and two for heat,mine is 69' lhd but surely they should be the same??

Why would you fit a ally step on the o/s of a RHD when there is no sliding door :?: ? A twin slider, welded up, perhaps? Very odd.

I doubt it, surely if you welded up a door you take the step off in the process. Some people just like symmetry, probably just wanted to make it look nicer, but I agree, looks odd.

Latest posts