J&M Resto Thread - Formerly 'The welding begins...'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin & Muttley

Reaction score
Got myself organised, got a huge reel of welding wire, and got started...

First I had to fabricate a wavy piece of steel for the cargo floor from 1.2mm steel sheet (not easy) - it doesn't look like the tidiest of jobs but it's good and strong - then two smaller patches nearby:
Patches.jpg

Next I tackled a small hole at the top of the wheel arch where the sink drain used to go through, I had to be careful because it's quite close to some fibreglass sheet that I want to keep intact for the moment:
Arch.jpg

Next, the trickiest bit - an 'L' shaped piece behind the passenger bulkhead - this was tricky because there is a curved section as it joins the inner wheel arch - I've still got a bit of grinding down to do but it looks OK to me!:
Curved2.jpg

So, just one repair to do in the back - another tricky bit the same as the passenger side, this one's a bit bigger though and may have to be done in two sections to avoid distorting the panels:
ToDo.jpg

Once this is done I can paint the cargo area of the van, then I'll tackle the cab floor next - both footwells need doing (should be fun!)...

Any feedback gratefully received (including any hints on improving my technique), thanks

J&M

;)

Just t back in from finshing/tidying the welds on my L shaped plate - half way through I realised that I still had the protective film on the inside of my visor (D'oh) - welds are much straighter now I can see properly! :oops:

Got the day off tomorrow so plan on finishing the other side, then a bit tidy up and paint the cargo area! Yippee!

;)

yo scampi!

great job..........I can do many things but welding is something i've yet to learn.... :roll: :roll:

i've had the day off today too, busy on the bus........happy days......

:lol: :lol:

Day off today so a pleasant time out in the garage - thought I'd have a go at tackling this little patch here:
Resto008.jpg

A huge thanks to the previous owner who thought that filler was a good substitute for welding in new metal!
Cleaned it up and fabricated a new patch:
Resto012.jpg

Tacked the new patch in place:
Resto013.jpg

Made up and tacked the adjoining patch:
Resto014.jpg

Need to make up some smaller patches to finish this area but it's taking ages and it's a bit uncomfortable kneeling over all the time...

Oh, and this is my 1,000th post - if only I'd put the time to better use on the bus, I'd be driving it by now... :oops:

;)

Yes Justin less postin more welding . Good work mate keep on it son 8)

Well done its looking good , fabricating those small plates is always tricky but i'm sure the results will be rewarding. Funny how they always go in those corners :)

currylager said:
Well done its looking good , fabricating those small plates is always tricky but i'm sure the results will be rewarding. Funny how they always go in those corners :)

You're not wrong! I've been pretty lucky though and the cargo area is pretty sound on the whole, once I've finished that corner the back will be ready for paint (trusty old Hammerite), then onto the cab floor...

;)

Nice one dooood! looks like there is a fair wack of filler in that panel! :cry:

when i cut the bottom off my sliding door I couldnt lift it up as it was solid filler :shock: just over an inch in some places :roll:

ah ha! now it becomes clear :wink:

Well guys - Mutley will officially NOT be ready this year! I've been promising Joy a new bathroom for 5 years and she's finally called it in (can't blame her as our bathroom is currently 1970's Candy Pink) - I've got all the parts I need (almost) and the tools too, so it'll be a winter resto with a spring unveiling - I don't mind really as it's taken me 2 years so far anyway!

Might change the subject of this thread to: Candy Pink Bathroom Resto...

Keep all your updates coming though - I feel inspired watching everyone else's work (especially Tofufi's!) - I'll get out there when I can...

;)

Latest posts