JK oil temp kit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David.a

Reaction score
I was looking into the oil temp kit for the sump from Jk. I don't fancy having wires in the way when dipping the oil so thought the sump version might be for me. Can anyone tell if they have it and if it is any good ?

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t2-bay-window-parts/t2-bay-accessories-tools/electrical/vdo-oil-temperature-gauge-kit-with-sump-sender-1200-1600cc-to-1979.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you
David

David, It looks OK to me.

I have a sensor fitted to one of the oil circuit spring plugs (can't remember which - I think it's the releif valve oilway).
Anyway some people will tell you that the temps you get are not accurate or meaingless. The thing I, & many others, want to know is - What is NORMAL for your engine. That's how I use mine. I try not to get too worried watching my gauges so as not to run in the back of someone. I will pull over & have a little break if the temp is high & I don't see a let up in the driving conditions ahead - hills, slow traffic, hot day etc.

This kit has the sensor set at an angle so shouldn't be vulnerable or influenced by passing air. I did a wee bit of faffing, drilling, tapping for mine. This looks easier.

Hope this helps,

Phil.

Interesting, not seen this before.

Does this kit work with the stock gauze filter and stock oil pick up tube?

Phil

Thank you. I am new to owning a camper and I would prefer some sort of indication to when the engine needs a break. It is a worrying thought to cook an engine. I was thinking about trying to get somewhere discreet for a gauge under the dash possibly if there is another gauge that is worth having have 2 together. This would be a winter job along with service etc. Going for my second ever trip on Tuesday.

David

I got one of these works too

http://www.savemybug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David, I maybe went ott with my gauges but I'm an engineer & data is king.

I went for generic gauges off ebay - but did check calibration at work & they were all surprisingly accurate.

Mounted below the dash is not exactly in my eyeline but what else can you do?

Temp, as I said before is oil temp from oil gallery.
Oil pressure is obvious. It does drop quite low when warm at tickover.
Volts tells me all is well with charging.
Rev counter I picked up which was just the right size.

My best "sensor" is having fully connected heat exchangers & all the pipework. I always have full heat on in the cab & am constantly sniffing the air for signs of burning, oil, petrol. I caught a loose petrol hose within moments once.

ae9c29c9d7ba3646b3cf926e24be9ca6.jpg

7547580c7aa4319024e97d55bf49e042.jpg

Phil

Latest posts