Oil temperature query

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huyrob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1600 single port recon engine has done about 6k miles. Just done oil change and fitted vdo oil temp gauge and sump sender.
Went for a 60 mile drive today and the gauge only got up to about 55 deg C. Same on return journey. Only went 45-50 mph.
Engine compartment not hot and side vents hardly warm.
The gauge pointer when off is below the 50 degree Mark and slowly edges up to slightly over 50.
I have read that it should be in the region of 80deg C. I know sump senders are not that accurate but do you feel I’ve got a duff sender or gauge. I think I’ve wired it correctly, light is on and pointer does move. Perhaps it just running really well ?

Hadn’t even thought of that. I’m pretty sure that I don’t. Have looked at a few threads following your helpful reply.
Am I right that whilst not essential they are recommended?
If I hunt for the bits is it a big, engine out job.
Even with the (likely)missing bits I am surprised at the low temp recorded on the gauge.

I've just fitted a temp gauge and I don't normally see much over 50° unless I go for a blast down the dual carriageway at 60-70mph. If I drive carefully round town it doesn't go over 50°. I checked my reading against a decent hand held temp probe and it was spot on.

I don't know if I have flaps or not, I suspect not as I've a fairly new 1776. How do you tell?

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

The type 1 engine thermostat is fitted above the tinware on r/h/s of engine beneath the push rod tubes. If you have one there you should have a rod linkage arrangement going to under the fan shroud. You can test the thermostat is working by gently heating it up from cold with a hair dryer/heat gun and it should expand, and this causes the flaps to open. If it is already expanded fully when cold, it is probably fubarred. The OG bellows thermostat fail in the 'flaps open' position. In the cold position (thermostat contracted) the flaps are partly closed to aid quicker heating up of the engine.

Hi Mike, thanks for replying.
That's a nice clean motor you have there!
I'm 99% certain I haven't got the bellows present. I can't check at the moment as I took it to the garage this morning to get them to raise the front.

Latest posts