Judging quality of respraying question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Small Face

Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry if in wrong section - but to me re-spraying well is pretty technical.

Im going to look at a LHD van at the weekend. Was imported from texas about 4 years back, current owner has had for 2 years.3 owers in total The current owner has said that they THINK its had a respray at some time as the paint is very clean, no orange peel or drippin and there isnt any fading-however they have no photos or knowledge of any resto etc.

Without being too over the top what can i do to check the quality of the job (or even good ways to check it has had one)

Im going to be running a magnet around the whole thing like a crazed man, but my concern is more the whole 'rust popping through the paintwork' in 6 months. The photos ive seen do make it look very tidy, but it also doesnt look like its just been restored either.
I know some people base the way the outside has been looked after with standard of the inside - and all is there, and in good used condition although canvas looks new, and front seats need a retrim plus some headlining looks like the glue may have dried out over the years (which also fits in with it spending its life in USA).

I dont for one second think the current owners have just 'resprayed to sell on', my worry is more that who ever imported did a quick respray and sold on.
However if that is the case and its been in the same owners place - would the van already be showing signs of any untreated rust already coming through the paintwork?

any help and ideas mucho appreciated

SF

ps - please dont hate me, but its a 1978, and although an early is preferred - i think we would be narrow minded to not at least look at a late bay with the improved camping capabilities they offer.

get your head under the dash with a torch,look for paint/repairs up by the windscreen.head in engine bay,look for 'fresh' paint or the lack of,up toward the air intakes.

hth's

Ok, so lets also assume i have a look in there and it appears the paint job is the same accross the van, inside and out - for example it was done when the 2l engine was changed for the 1600 one. :?

Based on the fact that its been used for a couple of years MINIMUM since any potential spray for festivals, camping etc would it/should it already be showing signs of rust popping through if its had a poor/quick job - ie under paint bubbling around the wheel arch areas, doors etc?
I dont mind if it the paint has been spruced up, as long as if there was any probs they would have popped through by now!

On a different note and more generic i know to look for the rust etc around the archs, inside archs, sills, outriggers, round winscreens etc (pretty much everywhere) - however what about the lip at the lower front panel on the body just above where the bumper sits? As this juts out at a right angle does it collect alot of water and crud and bubble up quickly (like it use to on the old minis?) If so is this a problem, or more a cosmetic issue?
Like wise inside dip/well around where the front lights sit in, does water collect around the lights over the years, constantly drip to the bottom and cause this area to go bubbly - again like the old minis?

Guess who owned a proper classic mini! (i dont miss her, i dont miss her, i dont miss her) :cry:

Small Face said:
Ok, so lets also assume i have a look in there and it appears the paint job is the same accross the van, inside and out - for example it was done when the 2l engine was changed for the 1600 one. :?

Based on the fact that its been used for a couple of years MINIMUM since any potential spray for festivals, camping etc would it/should it already be showing signs of rust popping through if its had a poor/quick job - ie under paint bubbling around the wheel arch areas, doors etc?
I dont mind if it the paint has been spruced up, as long as if there was any probs they would have popped through by now!

On a different note and more generic i know to look for the rust etc around the archs, inside archs, sills, outriggers, round winscreens etc (pretty much everywhere) - however what about the lip at the lower front panel on the body just above where the bumper sits? As this juts out at a right angle does it collect alot of water and crud and bubble up quickly (like it use to on the old minis?) If so is this a problem, or more a cosmetic issue?
Like wise inside dip/well around where the front lights sit in, does water collect around the lights over the years, constantly drip to the bottom and cause this area to go bubbly - again like the old minis?

Guess who owned a proper classic mini! (i dont miss her, i dont miss her, i dont miss her) :cry:

Are you sure it was converted to 1600? check out the M-codes I'm thinking a late bay import is more likely to have come with a 2litre from the factory & check the gearbox code to see if its a 6 rib "2l" gearbox.

Original paint is likely to be found in the engine bay, inside doors (behind door cards) & any other nooks & crannies.
What colour is it ?- we can check to see if its correct for the model year. Also there should (once have been) be a sticker behind the passenger seat with the colour code on it.

The deformation panel (the bit behind a late bay front bumper) can certainly get rusty - its there as strengthening in the event of an accident so should ideally be in good nick.
Head light bowls do rust & can then deposit water into the inside "trough" & then rust the panels behind deformation panel etc

As you said already around the lower edge of windscreen is a popular area for rust even on imports (and all other windows), door bottoms if they havent been kept clean inside & well protected, the gutters can rust if they arent kept free of debris.
If it has belly pans covering the underside they "can" hide all sorts of problems - or they can do a good job of protecting whats under there - but its difficult to find out - try hitting them to see if you can hear loose rust/debris bouncing on them.

& all the other areas you mentioned ;)

Have you got pics/info to post up? someone might know it & be able to advise?
Get the chassis number & logbook number from the owner & check on this: http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/html/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
see what the old MOTS throw up.

Good luck.

Sorry - the 2l engine has defo been replaced with a 1600 and is also unleaded!

Thats a top link - i wish i had access to the docs before we went to see it. (Seller moving away is the reason for vehicle being sold so all docs with the car!)-however the site is now one of my 'Favourites'.

At worst from the photos i know that its either been resprayed inside and out (including around the dash) or at the very least the outside has been sprayed the same colour as it was...a good start i hope.

Please keep advice coming - i need it, and though its a latey its nice to have the support and as much input to hand as poss.

Whoops misread your 2litre->1600 bit thought it read the other way round :oops:

Colours for model years can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where is it located - always possible someone has seen it or drives past it or something?

Can you post up the pics? If we can say nothing else I'm sure some of the eagle eyed guys on here will spot some price reducing negotiation points ;)

good one.

looks like its ivory to me - its not even close to anything else!

hopin to get more pics of the important bits tom.

I am not sure the late bays have them, but the early's have a bolt on pan under the front end to protect the steering bits, pedals etc. If they do have them definately remove this to have a good look at the chassis sections in this area, i didn't and sufered the consequences badly. Also, apparently and amazingly, MOT testers do not remove this pan to inspect the chassis rails so an MOT don't mean much IMO. Know the difference between underseal and seam sealer as rubberised seam sealer if liberally applied over structural bits can also hide loads of nasties (again from experience).

Good luck

matt-me said:
I am not sure the late bays have them, but the early's have a bolt on pan under the front end to protect the steering bits, pedals etc. If they do have them definately remove this to have a good look at the chassis sections in this area, i didn't and sufered the consequences badly. Also, apparently and amazingly, MOT testers do not remove this pan to inspect the chassis rails so an MOT don't mean much IMO. Know the difference between underseal and seam sealer as rubberised seam sealer if liberally applied over structural bits can also hide loads of nasties (again from experience).

Good luck

late bays do normally have the pedal cover (thing I cant remember the correct name of) at the front & I believe they all have belly pans that can be unbolted (if fitted) my old 78 certainly did.

Just seen another 78, same model as well and its in a colour called dakota beige.
Pretty much looks the same as ivory and the van we are going to look at to me - does anyone know if this is this just another name for the same paint/colour?

Hi There

If the bus you're looking at is alo near/in Beds I can help check it out if you wish.

I think its quite easy to suss a good un from a fake-up job once you've had a few face-fuls of rust..

PM me i you want I'm not on here every day.

Cheers

James

Cheers for the offer - unfortunately its about 3 hours journey away. Its one of the reasons i wanted photos of the underneath as a form of initial 'screening' before going to view!

Again thanks for the offer though - never seems to be any that come up nearby - in fact the only one we have seen was one in olney on ebay - was definately a bus converted into a camper, with a some sort of new braziliian style pop top on it!!??? and was advertised as completely restored-i emailed and got a response to what price they wanted, but as soon as i asked for details on the 'restoration' and photos of the underneath they dissappeared! Strange that ;)

SF