Just back from Ebi and a two week hol in france. NEVER AGAIN

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltz19

Reaction score
Just back last night from a two and a half week trip inc Ebi and two weeks in France.

Not a great start Wed 26th heading for the ferry in Newcastle red light comes on just over the border!!!

Have to get my wife mail the guys at BBT ( got a new one in stock )

Find out my phone will not work in Europe any more!!!

Drive to BBT on Thur 27th (remove engine and fit new dynamo and reg )

Arrive @ Ebi late thurs ( gearbox starts to make a noise on the nice smooth roads in Belgium!!! )

Spent the weekend at Ebi thinking the box would fail on my two week hol.

Sun head to pick up my wife and son from the airport, and head into France.

We get about 15 miles into France and the gearbox noise gets worse!!!!

We head back to Ebi to find a box but its all packing up.

Run down to the guys at BBT and ask if they have a box I can get.

No probs says BOB but they are all up at the shop. (160kms away )

Very slow run back up to BBT on the Sun night and find a hotel.

Mon and back at BBT this time the engine and gearbox out!!! ( and its got a towbar )

All fitted back up to find the reverse gear will not work after all that!!!! ( have you ever wanted to scrap your bus!!! )

We look at hiring a car from Brussels Airport and going in that ( still had 400 miles to travel to the holiday home )

Bus felt good driving to the airport so I said I think it will be ok.

At last we are heading for France drove about 260 miles that night and found a hotel to crash out in.

Got to the holiday house on the tues two days late and knackered.

Big Big Thanks to the guys at BBT they were great with us if they had not been there we would have been on the boat back long time ago.

Respect. Most would have gone home after the first fault.

Jeepers! Not a great by the sound of things, but look on the bright side, now you had done the box and the dynamo you can rule those out as good , ok sort reverse out and you will be sweet, all part of the VW adventure. I almost poured petrol over our bus and burnt the B@!?/ad thing two years ago...keep the faith it gets better .....promise. You will fall back in love with it soon !

Its shit when you get problem after problem but sadly these machines are getting older. Well done for staying at it and not giving up.

You will look back on it in time to come and laugh. Good story to tell the lads at the pub :)

dubscum said:
when that happens on road trip with the lads its all part of the fun. When it happens with the family it's far from fun :(

I agree, is a laugh with mates. Project 69 broke down coming back from Ninove, so him, me Grazy & Stu 61 where sat in stu's bus for 5 hours in - temps. Got cabin fever had came up with a scenario of Si being collected by a gay rapist recovery driver called Ralph who 'loves ze techno' :lol:

'twas a long night.....

this is why, as much a want to, my bus will not be joining us on holiday in France next year... as someone said, it's OK if you're on a road trip with the lads... but not with the family that in my instance will include a 2 children aged 2 & 3 years..

Sorry to hear your problems though fella.. but good to hear BBT sprang to the rescue!

Latest posts