Just Broken Down: Coil Trouble?!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakey666

Reaction score
Hi
Just been for a quick run out with van and at the lights it cut out. The engine light and oil warning light came on so i called out breaddown. Whilst waiting for them to turn up, I checked plugs, oil level and points and all seem ok. The breakdown man said there was no power to the coil.

Any ideas where I should start??

I dont think its my starter motor as the engine is trying to start.

Thanks Cakey

Fuse board probably first , make sure nothing is wrong obvious in there ..

.. then make sure you have voltage to the points and the condensor hasn't failed ..

:roll: .. well its a start!

Hilly

link a wire from the batt + to the coil, then try starting. If it starts them it might be the ignition switch faulty

make sure 1 of the wires didnt slip off the coil. the wire might look like it is still connected but it might be very loose. make sure the connections are tight

Thanks for the advice guys

Ive just messed around with the wires to the coil, made sure they were all connected and it just started!!

Yeah!!! Dont really know what I did but its now working!!!

Thanks again

now you have it working again, don't just sit there.

take your time on a sunny sunday afternoon to remove all the wires off your coil and clean each of the spades with a bit off wirewool / sandpaper.

see if you can clean the connectors, or better still put new crimps on.

if you want to go the whole hog, smear the contacts with vaseline afterwards to stop future corrosion.

This is what you want for cleaning the contacts, excelent for refurbing the fuse box and relays

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Abrasive-Cleaning-Fibreglass-Fibre-Pen-Pencil-5-Refills_W0QQitemZ270421393558QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET?hash=item3ef65f0096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just be careful or you'll be itching for days so no VW maintenance in the nude...unless of course thats what flicks your switch

then a bit of dielectric grease

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PERMATEX-ELECTRICAL-BULB-LAMP-CIRCUIT-DIELECTRIC-GREASE_W0QQitemZ300414268719QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45f215f52f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts