K&L Conversion annoying'nssss

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyful

Reaction score
Now then guys,

I wanna go low so after looking at a few threads on here have decided to go down the K&L route for ultimate slammage.

I have a 66 splitty beam set up, my bus is wide 5 so i assumed a splitty beam would bolt straight on.

I've done a check on DVLA and its saying that the manufacture year was 70, i'm not sure if it will fit now.

Anyone recommend any simple checks i can do to determine what fitment beam it has before i start taking it apart?

New set up, plus i have a splitty narrow beam to go on.

I brought an NOS split beam with the intent to narrow and to go king & link pin but had to get end plates made with the later bolt pattern so it would fit my 70 :roll: was a lot of faffing about but I needed end plates anyway cos I was going to narrow it. Although I made myself a beam purely so I could go uber narrow I'd recommend just buying a narrowed beam tbh mate.

mattp said:
This should also make it easy to understand the differing mounting holes between splitty and pre August 69 bay and post August 69 bay

splitty and pre August 69 bay top pair of holes and middle pair of holes

post August 69 bay top pair of holes and bottom pair of holes

IMG_2967.jpg

Hmm, Is it a big job changing the end plates or will a garage charge me an arm and a leg?
I've done some welding my self but wouldn't want to do anything structural like this.

Yes it is a big job, I had to make up a jig to hold everything perfectly square then you need to get the ends of the tubes machined out so the needle bearings fit. As I say I'll only inflicted this on myself because I wanted to go more than 4.5 inches.

I already have a splitty 4" narrow beam so would just have to swap the end plates.

jimmyful said:
I already have a splitty 4" narrow beam so would just have to swap the end plates.

Is there enough metal to allow you to re drill them for the correct bolt pattern?

I havent seen the 4" narrow beam yet its just come off my friends bus, would be good if there was enough metal.

I managed to get a pic of my beam last night, is it possible to tell from this pic if its early fitment or not?

I'm a bit confused, do the later ones have 2 holes on the side or is that for multi fitment?

Thanks in advance peeps!

measure the vertical distance between the center of the two mounting bolts, if its 9cm, its an early fitment.

o
| 9cm
o

Have you actually checked the bolt pattern on the narrowed beam you're buying yet?

The one i was going to get from CE??
I'm just going to get the K&L Beam with the 70 onwards bolt pattern.
I have in all 3 beams in all

4" Narrow split beam of a 56 imported from the states last year.
Std Splitty beam
full ball joint beam and set up, ill be pulling of the bay.
Got some of those monroe shocks, might bang them on as well.

Its getting slammed on the deck thats why I'm doing all the K&L bollocks :D

jimmyful said:

Std Splitty beam

If you want to get it on the deck, then a CE beam isn't the way to go, The bottom of the beam is to square which will catch and the top shock isn't really in the best place they should be further back. Go for a t2d or project01 beam http://www.project01.co.uk/products.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You wouldn't be able to redrill the bolt pattern on the narrow beam either. If you can get some dual pattern side plates(slamwerks did sell the bay/K&L sideplates for £70) then this would be the cheapest way of doing it and it wouldn't take much time for someone to weld the new plates in.

jimmyful said:

Std Splitty beam

will be a pre 63 split beam ok?
it has only 800kg load, post 63 have 1000kg.
20mm link pins instead of 22mm

i would also go KnL beam but i onl have an 55 beam.
will it be strong enougt?
thank you

You also need to consider spindles. 63 is an odd year as early arms and pins but the later tapered spindle. More of a consideration if you want to run the original bay brakes

my complete beam is from 55, so early beam, early arms and early spindles.
original bay disc brakes would be nice, but i think it wont work on early spindles.
so i have to go for early drums.. :?

This is being made over complicated. Just sell all the stuff you have and buy a complete narrowed beam and spindles from Transporterhaus. Tell him what year your bus is and what brakes you have and and he'll send all the correct bits

Latest posts