Keeping the old or changing to new?!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valbarley

Reaction score
I have a question

My bus is kitted out, all original Devon style, flip out cooker, original features etc etc

But lovely and authentic as it is...it doesnt work that brilliantly for me

I would actually like a full size bed, a spanky new SMEG cooker etc running behind the front seats - Im not bothered about the sink and fridge etc

Would I be devalueing it if I actually ripped the whole lot out and replaced with something that suits my needs better? (yes i know it is sacrilege)

751f1f31.jpg

P1050124_zps1b06d90b.jpg

Take it out carefully store it properly, and personalize your van as you like. Its your van to enjoy at the end of the day.
If you come to sell it the new owner has the two to choose from.

valbarley said:
I have a question

My bus is kitted out, all original Devon style, flip out cooker, original features etc etc

But lovely and authentic as it is...it doesnt work that brilliantly for me

I would actually like a full size bed, a spanky new SMEG cooker etc running behind the front seats - Im not bothered about the sink and fridge etc

Would I be devalueing it if I actually ripped the whole lot out and replaced with something that suits my needs better? (yes i know it is sacrilege)

751f1f31.jpg

P1050124_zps1b06d90b.jpg

Hi Val,
the answer is of course its up to you, but it's all about having used it for a while and see how you get on with whats there. I have a Westy interior with a sink and coolbox (almost like a fridge in the British climate :lol: ) and no fitted cooker. We have used this for two years. The more I look at fitted cookers I think that I'm not that bothered, as we can have our little portable gas one either inside, or if the weathers good; outside.

If we take our daughters (they are grownups now) then we need the awning and so use the Coleman stove which has two burners and therefore is more functional for four people. I don't really want to spend too long cooking in the van anyway.

You say you are not bothered about a fridge, would you use a cool-box then to keep food cool in? (and beer!)

We are ok with the 3/4 width bed but again that is very much a matter of personal preference. Perhaps you could take out the rear cupboards to enable the fitting of a full width bed. You have a nice Devon interior there so it would be a shame to replace it all but if you did I am sure you would be able to sell it easily.

here's a couple of pics of ours - I know its different to a Devon but the principles the same. :)

I have a cooker, sink and an electric cool box in my kitchen in my van. Never used them. I use an Igloo cool box for food and beer. I never cook in the van, I never wash up in the van...

As I am restoring my bus at the moment I am thinking of getting rid of the kitchen unit and replace it with another buddy seat for more storeage.

J.

MisterListerSir said:
Take it out carefully store it properly, and personalize your van as you like. Its your van to enjoy at the end of the day.

Agree - if you have somewhere to store it then do above.
If not then, your bus your rules.
If you sold it you probably won't hurt the resale value as some people like stock and some don't - will always be a buyer at the right price.

Good luck with your decision!

Hi again :)

I've had her for 2 years now, so it's not a impulse question, honest!

Cool box I tend to use an iceytek anyway (go google, they are good!) - 56 litre so much more room than the fridge for beer...

I have got stupid amounts of camping equipment (5 bell tents in various sizes etc for a start) so I have alternatives to it being incorporated into the van

I do cook in the van, I dont wash up in there though (I just use plastic trugs outside)

I dont tend to use the buddy seat or sink which is the bit that miffs me a bit, as its room i could utilise better.

The van is used more of a 'kitchen' than anything - I tend to use the bell tent as a 'bedroom' - Mainly because the dogs are getting a bit crock and struggle to climb up onto the bed in the van (which is a squeeze with 2 labradors....)

Also I love the swing out cupboard with the stove, but trying to fit a large frying pan on it, means nothing much else will fit on the second ring...

I suppose I want the best of both worlds in that it all looks the part, but have the luxury of matching modern specifications

I'm sure I wont pull it to bits just for a bit of convenience, I just think i would maybe use her more as a stand alone camping overnighter if she was a bit more 'organised' to my needs

68_early_bay said:
MisterListerSir said:

^^^this :mrgreen:

Completely agree with these guys. When you move house do you agonise over redecorating or fitting a new kitchen or bathroom? A bus shouldnt be any different as its a home from home, its the same as lowering or fitting alloys or respraying: do what suits you. BUT, keep the original interior, you never know.....

I have a westy, removed the over head locker cos it blocked the view and also ditched the sink/coolbox thing due the fact it was crap and blocked up the door and filled up the floor space. Also packed my bus full of stereo, narrowed beam and big engine... Your bus so do as you wish with it. Others may not approve but sod em ;)

Agree with K@rlos above. I have a Westy interior in mine sometimes and I have tried to get the hang of it but it just all takes up space. Mine ain`t a Westy anyhow so it`s no biggy that I like just my coolbox and bed in the back, and use a portable cooker outside mostly but inside for making that first cuppa of the day to have in bed :p I use an old gazebo and Tesco table and chair unit in the middle of it and that about does it,,, plus my washing machine drum and ancillery extras :roll: The only other thing I use is an old bedside cabinet with two drawers in it that sometimes is in the bus and sometimes it`s out of the bus, sometimes it`s next to my chair as my ` smoking ' table and then it might go in the bus to boil the kettle on in the morning,,,,,,,, puuurrrfeckt ;) Now I got a RHD Westy interior that is so rare it`s worth a fortune, but so rare that not many people need one,,,,,,,,,, what a conundrum to be in, I`ve offered it about but the best offer I had was seven hundred and fifty, so on one hand I think get shot but on the other hand it don`t eat nuffink :lol: So what I`m saying is,, check out what you really want, wait until you see exactly what you want and then decide. If your worried about being turned into a pillar of salt for pillaging a (insert whatever sort of bus you got) totally original bus, then store it in your loft as they`ve said above, or sell it, It is at the end of the day,, yours for a while ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just enjoy it as MUCH as you can, will you enjoy it more ?? :mrgreen:

Every time an original interior is removed , somewhere a kitten dies. You all knew that, right? :(

I don`t like cats anyhow :p Now if you`d said a puppy I`d be crying all night :cry: :cry: :cry: Not true really, I loves em all ;) Listen guys,, I think you`ve all forgotten that mine ain`t a Westy,, and that other interior could live and survive even longer in hibernation in someones loft,,,,,,,,,,, result :) But I know what you mean about trying to keep some of these busses as original as they were made as far as possible. BUT the vehicle has to be usable to the owners as well.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,What colour was this kitten then ? :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

I had a completly original splity devon poptop ,I sold it and got an original devon crossover with the idea of customising ie new interior,different colour,lowered etc,guess what couldnt do it so kept it completely original i think they sell easier and quicker imo,if i was going to customise i think i would buy a van that was empty and try and keep the original vans as they should :D ,but its your bus so do as you feel,good luck and enjoy!

dont think i can do it either tbh :(

Looks like the interior will stay for a while anyway

When i had visions of getting a bus it was going to be painted and customised with all sorts (i paint my tents, so the bus had no chance)

Then I got one...and it was all elegant and pristine in cream...and still is...havent the heart to deface her :cry:

My poor tent...

87d3df7a.jpg

59a4c3e3.jpg

I'm clearly in the minority - I think the bus should be made to suit your needs. If that means a new interior then go for it. I agree that if you take it out you should be careful though so any potential new owner (if you ever plan on selling it) has a choice. I guess I'm lucky I found an empty bus ;)

Had this dilemma albeit turning a microbus to a camper. Had the original bench seat interior and didn't want to get rid of that part of it's history so took them out, wrapped them up and have them stored. Now I have a westy interior to go in, which is somewhere of a compromise between getting a brand new interior and retaining some classic features.
But you've got to do what's best for you otherwise you end up regretting it.

Latest posts