King and link conv. brake options

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six

Reaction score
Hi all

ill keep this out of tech until i start the fit.

I am currently planning a King and link upgrade and was thinking about brakes.

i want disc brakes, my non servo late bay ball joint beam stops well. I cant find though any caliper mounts to bolt these on to a drum brake spindle aka 944 style. do these exist?

So brake solution pros and cons anyone use knl King and link conv. brake options what you use.

i would ideally love brazil spindles but cannot find them anywhere for sensible cash.
option 2 is using late bay calipers if i can find caliper mounts
option 3 to use 944 but all in i cant see any pluses as its not far off:
option 4 csp/futbus et al after market options.

So if you have gone kinky linky, what brake solution did u use approx price and anything you can tell me

thanks cant wait for the next step going kinky linky

:)

Futbus vented 14".

004-75.jpg

Can run steels or alloys, and bigger braking surface than CSP for around about £1k new.

Late splitty beam fitted with Creative adjusters. Brakes, well .... stock. Worked fine in '67 and no change in running gear since. In fact, lower suspension surely gives lower streses on said brakes? All works very well with a good old stomp!!!!

i think id love brazil dropped spindles mainly as i already have late bay parts that are all nearly new. But i just cant find them. If any one knows a source let me know.

a grand on brakes id out the question :( for csp/fut route as pretty as they look.

now i have some cash hopefully if i see some brazillians i can get some. otherwise maybe a servo and drums?

thanks for your input guys

brazilian spindles are very very hard to get hold of and if you do therefore attract a premium.

I believe that a carrier can be made up and use standard 73 on brakes....
https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/bus-front-disc-brake-conversions-kit-2615107a/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's not a true bolt on but there is also this - an adaption of the above....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112678&highlight=spindles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which is what I'm hoping to do...

dubdubz said:
brazilian spindles are very very hard to get hold of and if you do therefore attract a premium.

I believe that a carrier can be made up and use standard 73 on brakes....
https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/bus-front-disc-brake-conversions-kit-2615107a/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's not a true bolt on but there is also this - an adaption of the above....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112678&highlight=spindles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which is what I'm hoping to do...
yeah thems the kiddies.

but the wolfgang jobbies are $500 right now. ouch. surely someone does jsut the brackets .. time like this i wished i still worked in engeering. id get 50 sets made and sell them!

I just fitted CSP kit in 2 hours, they only cost £595 at the time though. I would go down the Porsche route now if I were to do it again.

why is that faux? wheel choice or something

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

six said:
why is that faux? wheel choice or something

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Parts seem to be readily available and I have seen it work well on RustyLee's bus.

Wheel choices for Porsche patter seem pretty good, though I like the wide 5's.

944 is cheaper than futbus or CSP but only useful if you want to run 5*130 wheels

Brazilian spindles cannot be that hard to get hold of, used to be £100 a side for the bare spindles (I bought 2 sets -not selling before you ask)

Which retailers have you tried?

mattp said:
944 is cheaper than futbus or CSP but only useful if you want to run 5*130 wheels

Brazilian spindles cannot be that hard to get hold of, used to be £100 a side for the bare spindles (I bought 2 sets -not selling before you ask)

Which retailers have you tried?

Oh maybe its just where i have looked. Usual places like of heritage machine7 jk even called danbury.

i done a call of transporterhaus t2d etc that was last time i had some money. but they were only selling as part of a package. I think it was well over a grand even then.

ill do another call round after christmas/ny see what people have got else ill look at going the caliper adaptors to get late bay kit on as i already have that stuffs on my BJ beam

I went king and link from slamwerks, not driven it yet though........

I already had the brakes and stuff to go with it and bought them 5 or 6 years ago before they got silly on the price, CSP solid disc brakes (paid £550) think they are over a grand now.