Kitchen cabinet and fridge + burner + sink

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stnvndk

Reaction score
I'm thinking about what to do with the kitchen cabinet. Anybody did make a new cabinet for a compressor refrigerator including a combined gas burner/sink? Although I prefer the original look I don't want to modify the original cabinet. All practical ideas are welcome

I have a Devon Moonraker and made the swing out cooker into 2 x parts so I can remove the top part and use the bottom as part of the bed base and then modified sink unit and took it down to a low level cupboard. this keeps the original parts and also now have a 6ft x 5ft bed

Attachments

• IMG_7413.jpg
    IMG_7413.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7412.jpg
    IMG_7412.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7411.jpg
    IMG_7411.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
I'm thinking about what to do with the kitchen cabinet. Anybody did make a new cabinet for a compressor refrigerator including a combined gas burner/sink? Although I prefer the original look I don't want to modify the original cabinet. All practical ideas are welcome

Is your "gas burner/sink" the same dimensions as the Smev/Dometic single gas burner? I had just the single sink version, but think they are close to the same size.

I was pushed for time & was told I needed a "fitted sink" for my bus to be let onto a festival campsite;

So did this as a quick option...

- Bought a small Birch pine desk from IKEA; Assembled;
- Outlined the sink on the center of desk top; 15mm inside this marked an inner line.
- Jigsawed the inner line, creating hole for sink
- Fit sink, add bead of sealant
- Add door/panel to front

Optional:
- Box in back & a couple of thin lats across the base to support the fridge, make it more rigid.
- Could have covered it in vinyl/wrap to match interior, mine was birch so was already close.

Afterthoughts:
- It was wider than the stock westy cabinet, and stuck out just an inch too much into the walkthrough; But would have been easy enough to cut down before assembling.
- It was lower in height than the stock westy cabinet by a couple of inches; So there's not much gap between the top of the fridge and bottom of the sink waste pipe.
- Fitting 2 larger clean/grey water bottles (10 litre?) was awkward; Probably better swapping one of them to a smaller 5 litre;
- If the sink was off centered, then probably could have fit a small thin drawer either across the front or running from front to back.
- It was super cheap & fast to put together.

If you did something similar only issue I can think of atm is how/where you'd locate/run/connect up gas to your gas burner?

Will see if I can sort some photos out.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to do something else with mine because my cool box is smelly and stained. Build a new frame inside and slide one of those Yeti coolboxes in there...think it fits neatly. The cupboard above, maybe put in large Anker Powerhouse USB generator (if the new one fits) The sink is a good storage compartment for 'stuff'.

I stripped out the interior of the cooler unit and installed a new fridge. I’ve kept the sink on top and moved cold water supply to a 5 litre container behind the passenger seat. I prefer to use stand alone gas cartridge cooker so that I can use it inside or outside of the van. I also found fitting a permanent solar panel on the roof rack works best for me. Some use a portable solar panel instead it depends how you camp really. I move around a lot so the fixed panel works best for me, and keeps the LB charged for the fridge.

dometic 50l fridge, stainless bar sink, 2- 4 gallon jugs for water. Bazpo water faucet, and submersible water pump.
We went portable with the stove, it fits on the countertop or set it outside on a table.https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/stoves-systems/genesis-basecamp-system
2483112.jpg

Latest posts