Lacquer or Ankor wax?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugsy

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just trying to find out whats the best method for covering bare metal work on a bus? Anyboday got any patina/ratty paintwork with missing paint and bare metal showing? What do you use? Pro's and cons of lacquer would be good to get. Thanks,

Jon

How large are the areas?
Both have advantages/disadvantages...
Laquer will still allow the rust to develop under it, it cant/wont make a perfect seal. The benefit is that if you strip it off, its gone quite easily.
Ankor Wax will prevent rust forming further, but is very hard to remove from bare metal - this can be an issue if a perfect paint job is required in the future.
If its just chips etc then a good car wax will seal them up ... if its larger areas, Id be tempted to paint the localised areas and blend them in.

Well its a few areas varying in size. Its had dinks in the past back in the states and i've just sanded those areas down to the steel and it sorta just fades from the paint to the metal in stages and i actually quite like the effect. The largest is roughly a foot long and about 4-5'' wide. Its in a position that its a big job to pull out but i quite like how it looks pressed in with the metal showing. So would lacquer just slow the rust process? At the moment there is nothing on it so after a bit of rain the surface is orange the next day. I dont mind having to keep on top of it but just not daily as there will be no metal left eventually :shock: :lol:

Jon

As discussed when you were here I'd use a good quality car wax, wait until a dry day, clean up all the areas and put a good covering over the whole of the bus, this will repel the water but also stop it going brown and rusty

There's a bit more metal on show than when you last saw it Graham. You reccomend a particular wax matey? o yeah an I can drop the bus off some time next week for the brakes etc but not too sure an exact day yet but ill let you know dude

Latest posts