LED bulbs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
majorhangover said:
If you put LED's in the dash for the clocks, will they dim?

I'm guessing not but the dimming on my bus consists of on or off so it's not an issue for me :lol:

Ive ordered some of the interior ones, looks good. Anything to brighten the bus uo while i put my makeup on :lol: :shock: ;)

67westy said:
majorhangover said:
If you put LED's in the dash for the clocks, will they dim?

I'm guessing not but the dimming on my bus consists of on or off so it's not an issue for me :lol:

on or off for me. Mine were so weak to begin with it did make a difference.

Matt_B said:
I've got LED's in the indicators and didn't need any extra resistance. They flash quite slowly!!

some LED bulbs (bayonet style) come with a built in resistor. I just bought a bag of superbright leds and casings and some resistors to trick the relay into thinking its a traditional bulb. I love messing around with solder.

Matt_B said:
I've got LED's in the indicators and didn't need any extra resistance. They flash quite slowly!!

Any chance of a link Matt? im quite interested in some of these for my panelvan 8)

Well I just fitted 6 of the cheaper festoon bulbs that I linked to earlier on ebay and they just aren't bright enough :( I guess I need to stop being and tight and get some of the more expensive ones now :lol:

I had previously tried out those 6 bulb festone jobbies. Wank arnt they?! Ive got the 12 bulb type in there now which are bearable. But, the colour is still horrible. Really blue. Supposedly the same colour as a cloudy day, but when it's dark you expect a more warmly glow...

Having said that, i'm also going to use some downlighters, and I recently got these delivered...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-MR11-Downlight-White-Driver-15-leds-Led-WH-/150561791876

I've not fitted them yet, but have powered them up. They're great! Really recomend them :D The seller has chrome and white versions and in packs of 3 to 6 depending on how many you want. The colour is excellent for LEDs and the brightness is good at 10w equivelent. Worth a look if you want a modern looking light fitting.

Thought i'd better get that out there...
Jim

Wank is a pretty accurate description :lol: I don't think I want the downlighters myself as I want to keep it old style :) Looks like a better bet for a lot of light though. I'm thinking of trying these next:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Festoon-42mm-C10W-SV8-5-interior-YELLOW-LED-SMD-bulb-/140535575660?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b892b46c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10W equivalent and yellow so will hopefully feel warmer, just hoping it's not too yellow. I think the westy light should fit a 42mm bulb but I need to check first.

If anyone wants 8 wank LED bulbs then get in touch :D

67westy said:
Wank is a pretty accurate description :lol: I don't think I want the downlighters myself as I want to keep it old style :) Looks like a better bet for a lot of light though. I'm thinking of trying these next:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Festoon-42mm-C10W-SV8-5-interior-YELLOW-LED-SMD-bulb-/140535575660?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b892b46c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10W equivalent and yellow so will hopefully feel warmer, just hoping it's not too yellow. I think the westy light should fit a 42mm bulb but I need to check first.

Do please let me know what you think of these bulbs when you get them.
I have also looked at a few LED festoon bulbs and, like you, found the light to be too cold and less bright than the stock bulbs.

I did think of tinting the glass or using yellow coloured sweet wrapper to make the light softer but then they would give out even less light.

lembo said:
Matt_B said:

Any chance of a link Matt? im quite interested in some of these for my panelvan 8)

Sorry for the delay - I got mine from autobulbsdirect.co.uk

I too have LED in the dash - and they dim up and down nicely :)

fitted my led interior bulbs at the weekend they work like a charm! bright buggers but dont do your eye balls in. :D

Matt_B said:
lembo said:
Matt_B said:

Sorry for the delay - I got mine from autobulbsdirect.co.uk

I too have LED in the dash - and they dim up and down nicely :)

what size and type for the dash? I'm lost on the numbers 501? thought they were jeans.....

dubdubz said:
what size and type for the dash? I'm lost on the numbers 501? thought they were jeans.....

standard dash bulbs look like standard 286 1.2w bulbs... so i would guess 286 led bulbs should do it?!? just a stab in the dark though..... looking for some myself...

actually 508 1.2 watt look the same too!!!

thru_a_lupe said:
dubdubz said:

standard dash bulbs look like standard 286 1.2w bulbs... so i would guess 286 led bulbs should do it?!? just a stab in the dark though..... looking for some myself...

actually 508 1.2 watt look the same too!!!

hang on 508s are 24 v so they arent right....
reckon its the 286's?!?

anyone?

okay...having done a bit of detective work on autobulbs website.... and assuming volkswagen used the same bulbs on a 1970 beetle as they did on a 1970 bay window....

side lights should be 233 (but ones that dont have any ridge around them otherwise you wont get them through the hole in the headlamp bowl)
indicators should be 382 (led bayonet looks correct)
stop and tail lights should be 380 (again led bayonet looks correct plus needs double contact on the back)
dash - says it should be a 265 but thats a festoon bulb which aint right so i reckon its a 286

please anyone correct me if im totally wrong.... :mrgreen:

Latest posts