Leisure battery charging question?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tezzah

Reaction score
Hi all.

Our bus battery charges fine, the leisure battery isn't charging (new battery too).

We have a meter that shows the voltage for both.

Until this weekend when we started driving the needle on the leisure battery dial moved across to max voltage (showing it was charging) however this weekend it stopped moving and isn't charging (main battery is).

I'm thinking maybe the split relay (or fuse) fuse has gone, or a wire is lose.

Has anyone else has anything similar like this, maybe a known fault???

Obviously check the fuses first.
What type of relay are you using?
I had one of those 'Smartcom' self switching relays and it lasted a whole of 5 minutes!!
Gone back to a regular relay now and never had a problem.

My smart relay seems to work ok, having adjusted the voltage that it kicks in at.

Tezzah - your logic sounds fine. One other thing is whether it is adjusted correctly - the input voltage may not be high enough for it to kick in. But then, f it was working up until this weekend, that does not sound likely.

My leisure battery never seems to charge, there doesn't seem to be enough power coming from the alternator to charge the main battery and the stereo etc. I also run the fridge straight from the alternator.

Right, got in there 5 mins ago, simple fix, new fuse in the relay.

I guess having the fridge, stereo, ds lite, iphone charger on killed the fuse. :lol:

Hmm. I wonder if that coupled with the battery charge being very low did the fuse in - what rating are you using?

To be honest mate it as the same size blade fuse as when i got the bus, 15 amp (blue one).

It's the same as this one http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_2_bay/type-2-bay-vehicle-accessories/vehicle-electrics/12-volt-vehicle-accessories/dual-charging-kit-j10520.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I blew a couple of fuses on mine so upped it to 20 or 25 and kept checking everything for the first few journeys, all seems fine except i need a new leisure battery that will actually charge to more than 9 volts!

If you are running high load stuff on the LB then you definitely need a 25 amp fuse - it's only there to protect the wiring against owners who short things out - which of course you would never do :lol:

Latest posts