LHD v`s RHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first bay was a RHD (Devon), my second bay was a LHD ex firebus Kombi (both late bays). I hadn't gone out looking for a LHD, but that particular bus had only 6k on the clock, so I thought it was too good an opportunity to miss.
I had no idea how I'd get on with LHD, but I quickly found I adapted to it very easily, ok I did find at first I was groping for the petrol stirrer with the wrong hand! :lol: Car parks weren't a problem, I just un-buckled and slid across. :lol:
I'm not fussed now which side the wheel will be on with my next bay, so long as it is solid, and has round bumpers and low indicators! 8) :lol:

Doug

pete nice said:
Has anyone rushed to get into their van & jumped into the wrong side?! :oops:

I've done that with my RHD van on numerous occasions, despite having never owned a LHD car or driven abroad... :oops:

I do it now with the wifes car which is rhd :?

I think its working away so much in the past my tiny brain just cant keep up with all the changes in my life...

pete nice said:

:oops: actually got into the completely wrong car on 2-3 occasions (and i have 20/20 vision). I scared the shit out of a whole family once :lol: i guess i was lucky they didnt start screaming 'CARJACKER!' :shock:

learnt a lot from everyones input..thanks guys. Personally i`m a rhd man after almost killing myself, my family and two other poor souls whilst driving a lhd split panel. It seems the only problem with either option is a matter of driver comfort...and motorway junctions!!

pete nice said:

I have to do that every day.. my drivers side lock needs looking at =(

Never driven a LHD van.. so i can't really judge.. I love my RHD van for surviving over here in our harsh climate since '71 :D

I should be picking up a T25 Syncro this week, that's LHD, I jumped in it & drove it fine, straight from my RHD T25.

It only took a couple of minutes to learn the gears (they are different in a Syncro) but it felt fine.

If you are worried at all, go & drive one & see how you get on. There are hundreds for sale & most people will allow you a test drive.

I have let people drive cars, I know they will not buy. Hey, you could drive mine if it wasn't in bits!

I prefer RHD because most of my driving is in the uk, mines a RHD uk.

Don't forget you can import RHD if the thought of a uk bus is too daunting.

Austrailia is sunny and all the vans are RHD and they still have plenty of kombis.
In the past year the company I work for (http://www.ravw.co.uk) as brought in 3 71s, a 69 tin top, my 70 single cab and 5 72 crossovers (tin tops, campmobiles, dormys etc) and a load of late bays too.
So you don't have to drive a left hooker to get a dry climate bus. Pretty sure south african busses are RHD too?

Yea, SA are RHD.

India & Malaysia are too, but they will be bodged up with bits of string bean cans!

I much prefer RHD I get to confused in a lefty :roll: not hard for you easy i hear you cry, but its true, smack me knuckles on the door trying to shift the door pull into second :lol:

LHD panels are the worst to drive as far as visibility goes, but if you have your lady at your side then all should be fine at junctions.

I have always had RHD dubs as I love em and they are more on the rare side aswell. So many LHDs out there that RHD are becoming more difficult to find. My notch is a 64 RHD, uber rare and have already had an offer from a guy in the states for it! :?: :?: they see RHD as being quirky or something, but as its the earliest known RHD UK notch its staying in good ol blighty (unless he offers 20K!) and its his :wink:

Ive owned 2 LHD beetles (oval & 62 ragtops), never found them a problem to drive, but I imagine a bus has more blind spots. If you really want a UK RHD then if you look hard enough there are still rust free UK buses around, bought my one previous owner 72 dormobile for £3.5k, 41k miles, only welding its ever had done is a set of front beam adjusters :wink:
Its not perfect, previous owner gave it a gash respray, but the og paint is slowly re-appearing. It just depends how long you are prepared to wait for the right deal.

has anyone successfully changed a LHD bus to RHD? I converted my oval while it was getting rebuilt - mostly due to having to replace chassis (orig was rusted everywhere) & just happened upon a cheap RHD dash, other than that it was pretty simple.

The problem with converting a van to RHD is the sliding door is normally still on the wrong side, passengers have to get out in the road.

I personally wouldn't bother. if the van has windows all round, it's not a big deal to drive.

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
has anyone changed a LHD to a RHD? i know its expensive, RHD dash, modifications to the front beam/steering geometry brakes etc. what else would be involved and how costly?

Ive seen lots of bugs with it done but not heard of many buses?

I`ve done a couple ,the front beam is ok ,and you can live with the dash just put the clocks in the glove compartement..It is just the little things like extending wires/moving brakes /mounting steering wheel/box/pedals etc...

RHD are alwaysed going to be the rarest... 8)

dandaz said:
just put the clocks in the glove compartement.. etc...

so you can directly switch the clocks with the glove compartment? with little problem?

Go on then , the little problem... :?

Is it the heater controls...Who needs heat..

This guy has done it ebay item...320186350341

dandaz said:
Go on then , the little problem... :?

Is it the heater controls...Who needs heat..

This guy has done it ebay item...320186350341

oh yeah :D i dont think i had my coffee yet when i typed that :oops:

Latest posts