LHD v`s RHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pros and cons to both

just coz its LHD doesnt mean its rust free

coz its RHD doesnt mean it is a rust bucket

obviously in a RHD your driving on the correct side so you have good near as damn it clear views of the roads at junctions....

then again if your touring europe it then puts you on the wrong side again...

States padded dash - UK steel

other national options

safety regs etc.....the list is endless it all depends on if your after a generalisation or deffinative.....

Personally I dont mind a LHD being used to driving an RHD in europe....

Others find the prospect/experience daunting......

I liked the option of buying a rot free bus (they are available as UK but fetch a premium now).....

Araon said:
Pros and cons to both

just coz its LHD doesnt mean its rust free

coz its RHD doesnt mean it is a rust bucket

obviously in a RHD your driving on the correct side so you have good near as damn it clear views of the roads at junctions....

then again if your touring europe it then puts you on the wrong side again...

States padded dash - UK steel

other national options

safety regs etc.....the list is endless it all depends on if your after a generalisation or deffinative.....

Personally I dont mind a LHD being used to driving an RHD in europe....

Others find the prospect/experience daunting......

I liked the option of buying a rot free bus (they are available as UK but fetch a premium now).....

LWHS^^^^ :wink:

I've driven a LHD VW in this country for about 10 years and must say it's just not a big issue. However the following minor problems do exist:
- overtaking
- car parks (where the ticket machines at barriers are on the wrong side)

Recently bought a LHD westy early bay and this has the additional problem that if on a motorway and changing lanes to overtake, there’s a big cabinet in your way of a decent view into the faster lane – again not a major issue, you just need to take more care overtaking. It’s also possible (not just in a westy) to look straight over the top of a car that’s overtaking you (I know someone that did this, straight into the side of a BMW convertible) – good reason to lower your van if you ask me!

However, given the difficulty of finding a RHD car / van from 1972 or earlier that hasn't suffered from rust and been repaired poorly and then if you do find one you know you'll be paying a fair amount more than an equivalent LHD car / van, I'm happy to choose LHD every time (unless of course you happen across a totally solid RHD van at a really good price - I just don't seem to).

The one tme I drove a LHD I found I adapted to it very quick. It was a new beetle though.

If it is a (LHD) panel van then you will struggle at some junctions. Windowed vans ought to make it a bit easier.

I just like the fact my bus has always been a british bus and has survived our crappy roads and road salting for 36 years already :)

At the risk of being a little controversial Im going to chuck my 2 pence in - sometimes I think that there are a good number of UK RHD vans that dont get the resto work done on them as some folks see LHD "rust free" imports as an easier option. Its still great to see early vans unwelded with OG paint etc, but how much greater is it to see vans like Tim Baxter's Sunlander, Alan Ward's Devon, Rikki James's old Dormobile etc?

FS 8)

My van is from Arizona. I would have preferred a RHD van as they are a bit easier to see out of. Mine is a hell of a lot better now the wardrobe is removed!

I bought it as there was very little rust. It needed a battery tray, but was unwelded when I got it. It makes for an easy project, & piece of mind that dodgy repairs won't come back again.

Prices have gone silly for vans & unregistered, un-mot'd vans offer good value if you have the skills to sort it out.

FS I understand what your saying, the problem I found was the amount of absolute crap out there with "welding sorted", I'm sure we've all come across the layers of metal plate on rust.......makes a resto that bit more costly and time consuming. (my old 74 was a good example of that)

don't forget the opinions of your other passengers
when I was looking to buy, I came across a 'RHD' with the sliding door as a LHD configuration - turns out it was originally a LHD which after many years the guy had converted to RHD because his wife got fed up always being on the oncoming traffic side (and presumably feeling that her life was always in his hands!)
:twisted:

In a window bus its really only overtaking that might be an issue though not something many of us need worry about :roll: and as far as car park machines go I just drive in backwards :D :D :D

has anyone changed a LHD to a RHD? i know its expensive, RHD dash, modifications to the front beam/steering geometry brakes etc. what else would be involved and how costly?

Ive seen lots of bugs with it done but not heard of many buses?

dp said:
It’s also possible (not just in a westy) to look straight over the top of a car that’s overtaking you (I know someone that did this, straight into the side of a BMW convertible) – good reason to lower your van if you ask me!

Zoiks! :shock:

I like RHD better,but it is hard to find a decent one that hasn't rotted away.I'm actually thinking about getting an import LHD next year maybe, only due to they are generally cheaper and less rusty.

But how long is it going to be until all the LHD ones over here have rotted away too? Maybe it would be better to leave them in California so they last longer? I suppose they could go at least another 5-10 years or so without anti-rust treatment, longer if you treat them before getting uneconomically viable to repair who knows?

Remember they won't be starting from new when they get here,they've all had road use and stone chipping wearing away the protection layers,over there it might not rust away so quickly but over here any protection which has worn away won't take many winters to rot away if left un-checked.

So if you buy a LHD import make sure you get it re undersealed and waxoyled or you will end up with a rot box too!

I agree with what has been said, but you have to be aware that some buses from the US can have a lot of rot if they have spent their lives in other than the driest states . The rubbers and upholstery suffer in the dry states but thats a lot easier to deal with than a lot of rot. Mechanically ,their standards seem to be lower than our MOT requires , so even a bus that was being used up to you buying it may need work on the steering , suspension, brakes etc. This what Ive found in the couple that Ive imported.

VWAIRCOOLED said:
... uneconomically viable to repair ...
Having seen what some guys spend (in time and £) on their rides, this is not a consideration! :shock: Good on them tho...
:wink:

I drive a lefty and find it no problem. OK some junctions are tricky but youve got mirrors and overtaking could be a problem.........ill let you know if i ever go fast enough to do any :lol:

Aaron: remember only the Euro 68s had steel dash, then they all went the way of the yank buses.

I took a LHD panel van for an MOT once. It was an ex fire bus so had no rear window. It had no door mirrors fitted either.

Scary? You bet! It was like driving a coffin!

Yeah a LHD panel is a bit of a nightmare, but at the end of the day if you're cautious and a bit sensible it's not a real problem. I can't really see myself overtaking too much, so that's not much of an issue either.

With regard to the actual driving experience, I find it pretty easy to adapt and swap between LHD and RHD. The only real difference I think is when driving LHD you tend to overcompensate a little bit and drive closer to the kerb.

Latest posts