Link Pin question bouncy question...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdubz

Reaction score
Hello

Just fitted my linkpin beam - and been for a test drive and it seems really tight and bouncy.

I haven't greased it at all yet - have I done anything wrong? I wonder if I didn't slack off the link pins enough.

Going to grease in the am - but any ideas welcome...

also I notice it doesn't self centre aswell as a bay beam is this again normal - no steering damper fitted as yet

thanks in advance

Darren

Grease it all up mate. Made a huge difference to my ride. Amazing what a little lube can do. ;)

The ride is slightly more bouncy then a balljoint beam, especially on certain sections of the M5.
Pack the beam full of grease and keep the spindles well lubed as well, it'll settle down after a couple of hundred miles.
Don't forget that VW moved to balljoint beams for ease of maintenance and longer component life, and if you're running dropped spindles as well remember that there's no dust seals fitted, so keep greasing them up.

Hi Darren
Mine doesn't self center all the time and I put this down to tracking.On my first drive it was terrible but after playing with the tracking I got it working a lot better , not 100% yet as I haven't had it done professional .
Grease is your friend on these beams and spindles and I bet /hope yours will come back with better results from what you had before.
I'm one notch up on the adjusters from stock position with dropped spindles,this was just so I could clear the gear selecter with the adjusters and I've still got 175 /55/ 15s fitted.
It's nowhere near as bouncy as the ball joint beam I had fitted before and drives 80% better, just got to iron out the centering issue and I will be 100% happier.
I've got 70mm notches in the chassis ,without this I would have thought the ride would he hard due to lack of travel....Dave

Sparkywig mine where but I've also got grease seals fitted and I think this could throw things out a tad as they where very tight on assembly.ill have another look at them and see if it has bedded in any and wants nipping up cheers...Dave

sparkywig said:
Steering self-centering is more camber related than tracking. Were the link pin shims set up properly during spindle assembly?

yes I did the shims as per the instructions - when the bus has a few miles on I'll check the camber.
the only thing is what to change the shims too if I did it right in the first place - as its not clear if the camber wants to be set at -degree what this equates to in shims.

toe in does need to be checked as I only did it by eye -

ground hugger said:
Hi Darren

Grease is your friend on these beams and spindles and I bet /hope yours will come back with better results from what you had before.....Dave

Yes grease made a massive difference - and i have an early beam with the bakelite bushes that do need replacing

...and the thing I'm most pleased about is the standard late bay disc brakes I'm running on adapters - no splash guards right now

after around 1000 mile in the yorkshire dales - the ride is still a bit harsh, I'lll re grease this weekend but wondered if there was a way to measure the 'slack' that you adjust the link pins off from tight?

Also I notice that it's running too low for practicality in terms of hitting the steering pin, I can notch and tub if I had too, but what do you do about the pin?
A raise would then foul the gear rod on my early beam???

TIA

Latest posts