Locking Petrol Cap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWheeto

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has got a locking petrol cap on their EB and where they got it from?

I'm thinking my other option is to fit a lock (probably a splitty one) to the petrol flap.

I bought mine 2nd hand from chap on VZi for £15 posted MINUS the key, then got lucky when someone else on VZi was selling aload of keys - sent him my cap and lo and behold, one fitted. Locking cap for £17, sweet! My ramblings aside, you can buy one from Cip1 in the states for about £70 posted I think. Will post a link if I can find it.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D343%2D201%2D551%2DLK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got mine off empi pervert on here...brand new and works very well. Drop him a pm to see if he's got any.

Am sure I saw them in the Custom & Commercial catalogue, about £35 if I remember rightly.
Noticed them because although fuel is expensive, can't recall hearing stories of petrol being syphoned from tanks (so far) unlike the 70's, and wondered who/why anyone would want one? Paranoia? Even the MOT man commented on my std VW logo'd fuel cap 'Oh thats nice, very period' Have to ask, why? :?

only last year there were lots of stories in the news of cars having there fuel pipes cut....

at least with a bay theres really only the syphon method available to the thieving gets...

Got it wrong again, locking ones listed for 71-73 and 73-79. But they are only £25, so cheaper than I thought.....
Did hear of a tipper driver who one morning got from one end of the yard and nearly to the other before his truck stopped. The theives had not cut the pipes or syphoned the diesel, but unbolted the complete (full) fuel tank and had the lot away! The cheek!

Pete B said:
Am sure I saw them in the Custom & Commercial catalogue, about £35 if I remember rightly.
Noticed them because although fuel is expensive, can't recall hearing stories of petrol being syphoned from tanks (so far) unlike the 70's, and wondered who/why anyone would want one? Paranoia? Even the MOT man commented on my std VW logo'd fuel cap 'Oh thats nice, very period' Have to ask, why? :?

Basically very large "traveller" community round my way so tanks get drained regularly.
Also got a few neighbours who get more than "a bit funny" with parking etc at the new place where I'm lodging so its just another deterrent to people tampering with the van.
(My house mate had a couple of her hire cars keyed and I've had some death stares out the window when I fire up my big black glasspack equipt van!)

Pete B said:

The one I have was a VW dealer option from new. Can't remember the maker now, but it is at least a period accessory :)

It came on my bus when I bought it...

Latest posts