Looking for our old family 1968 VW Camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimsz

Reaction score
Hi, I hope my post is allowed on here if not admin please let me know.
I wonder if there are any UK members which can assist me? I am trying to locate my grandparents 1968 VW camper, registration plate VME61G.
My grandad recently passed away very unexpectedly, but weeks before he told me how much he regretted letting go of his beige vw camper, which he lovingly looked after for many years. It was bought by his father (my great grandad) in the very early 70s and had been in our family for over 30 years.
As a young child I have many fond memories of day trips and weekends away in that camper and now that my grandad is no longer here I would like to bring it back to the family if at all possible.
I have searched high and low online and expect it may have been scrapped or SORN. DVLA shows it has not registered an Mot.
Does anyone either have this van or know where else I could look to locate its possible where abouts?

Any thoughts, advice would really be appreciated to aid in my search.

Many thanks

Hi bud, not sure if it’s relevant to your search but these old vans are MOT exempt nowadays. Some of us still mot them and some don’t, but that might have something to do with why DVLA are showing that it hasn’t registered an MOT. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,good luck with the search :mrgreen:

I didn't know that so thats really interesting, there still might be hope 😁 thank you for that!!

I am not 100% but I think I saw it in docaster (volksheaven) I was aregular visitor for veedub parts and they had probably 100 plus old vw's parked up. They no longer run unfortunatly. What model was it from memory it was a beige microbus with the roof cut out for a wrag top

Xfilesrool said:
I am not 100% but I think I saw it in docaster (volksheaven) I was aregular visitor for veedub parts and they had probably 100 plus old vw's parked up. They no longer run unfortunatly. What model was it from memory it was a beige microbus with the roof cut out for a wrag top

If it was a pop top and the poptop had reached the end of its serviceable life, then a very popular and much cheaper option / repair was to ditch the top and fit a rag top style sun roof ala Paris sunroofs. Especially with certain tops that were prone to leaking like early Devons. Don’t forget that during a certain period of time, a lot of these vans / campers / busses were worth about two to five hundred quid and not highly prized or valued like they are today. :mrgreen:

P.S. worth a phone call ;) ;) ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,worth millyuns now :mrgreen:

Hi both, no it wasn't a pop top, I've hopefully added a picture of my grandads van for you to see 😊 I will see if they have a Website as anything is worth a try

Looking at the DVLA site it looks like the van is and has been dormant for some while. It doesn’t appear to have been scrapped but is probably in a garage or shed somewhere.

Positive thinking is that is being cosseted or undergoing a long term resto, alternatively it may have sunk into the ground somewhere …

Not all vehicles are declared scrapped especially if they were chopped up for panels. Being a business they should have...

I bought several vehicles from them, especially beetles when they were cheap so there is hope someone bought it and it's languishing in a garage somewhere. All the good vehicles were at the front and the deeper you went the more rotten they were. Everything was for sale at the right price and your bus if memory serves was right at the entrance along with about 10 other t2s.

Like I said I am not 100% but the meg number plate rung a bell and the ones at the front were too good to scrap

I bought my first car from them a 1970 1300 so you can see how I became a frequent visitor for parts

FYF701J

I thought I was the dogs crown jewels

There is an old thread from over 10 years ago on the same reg - maybe someone can help

https://www.volkszone.com/threads/fyf701j-looking-for-any-previous-owners.352417/

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Xfilesrool, Ahh your beetle is fab! Great looking car.
I think I've found the details for Volksheaven so will try calling the number listed tomorrow, although I'm not sure if they are still around as you mentioned but it's worth a try.

Good luck with the search. If you type the reg into a well-known search engine, it comes up with this one: https://egmotors.co.uk/listings/1971-vw-type-2-twinport-1-6-2-berth-camper/ but it is a 1971 not 68...

Hi, still on the hunt for our van if anyone has any suggestions of how I maybe able to track it down. I feel like I've joined every Facebook page, completed every possible Google search. It's like looking for a needle in a hay stack :(

Hi, still on the hunt for our van if anyone has any suggestions of how I maybe able to track it down. I feel like I've joined every Facebook page, completed every possible Google search. It's like looking for a needle in a hay stack :(
I know how you feel. I’m looking for our 1973 Type 2 Dormobile conversion OLA817L. Saw that it was for sale on here in 2015 but the trail has gone cold. What’s the reg of your van?

I know how you feel. I’m looking for our 1973 Type 2 Dormobile conversion OLA817L. Saw that it was for sale on here in 2015 but the trail has gone cold. What’s the reg of your van?
Oh thats a shame, i really hope you find it. Our registration of our old van is VME61G.

is there a number missing from that reg - VME 61G?
Mine is an H reg and it has 3 numbers

A vehicle reg of that age can have 1, 2 or 3 numbers before the age related final letter.

Latest posts