Low profile tyres

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

Reaction score
I currently have a pair of brand new 165/50/15 tyres fitted to my front wheels by the beam installer... I'm worried about using my bus with these though because of the low tyre load rating of a tyre of this profile, just 365Kg's, which is clearly less that 1/4 of the total bus weight alone without adding a 25% safety margin...

If I were to go to a 175/55/15, this load rating increases significantly to a figure that's just about acceptable..

So, use the new tyres I have or sell them and buy the 175's....?

Appreciate your views on this one...

I'm not sure where I'd go on this one?? But my thoughts are that these buses are somewhat rear heavy so the front end doesn't carry as much of the laden weight as the rear.. i.e. Engine, fuel tank, camping gear in and on top of the bus if roof rack fitted....maybe some stuff on front roof rack.
I suppose there is the braking load and front passengers weight etc but I would be happy to run with what you fitted. In my opinion !!!! That's my thoughts interesting question though!! Bus is looking good fella ;-) we'll have to arrange for VoWo 2014 all being well of course.... Ben

Braking load is my main concern where there is load transfer to the front wheels.. Statically the tyres are fine, as you say, busses are very rear end heavy..

Whilst I understand your concern I am yet to hear of a tyre blowout that is suspected of being caused by overloading.

I'm currently running the same tyres on the same set up as you Carl. If you have the clearance I would recommend a bigger tyre. Slam tyres look cool but run a little rough. The more rubber you can get between you and the road the better.

aspro said:
I'm currently running the same tyres on the same set up as you Carl. If you have the clearance I would recommend a bigger tyre. Slam tyres look cool but run a little rough. The more rubber you can get between you and the road the better.

I agree, better handling as well.
I ran 155/50/15 for a few months and the ride was awful.
Get a decent branded tyre with stiffer sidewalls and you won't suffer tyre roll in corners and on roundabouts.

I knew there would be a marked difference, but changing from 175/55/15 Continentals on 5" rims to "budget" 175/55/15 on 4" wheels was astonishing.
Especially at the the first roundabout...... :lol:

aspro said:

Clearance.... Hmmm... No there's a question... Could control movement with stiff shocks, but then what's the point of spending all that money on dropped spindles...

I know people who run both, the last bus I compared to mine was running 175's yet was quite a bit lower than mine, but claimed never had a rubbing problem....

I'm tempted to opt for the 175's if I'm honest... Probably the Continental or Kumho options...

Anyone want a pair of brand new Bridgestone slam tyres! (still got the labels on!!) :lol:

sparkywig said:
aspro said:

I agree, better handling as well.
I ran 155/50/15 for a few months and the ride was awful.
Get a decent branded tyre with stiffer sidewalls and you won't suffer tyre roll in corners and on roundabouts.

I knew there would be a marked difference, but changing from 175/55/15 Continentals on 5" rims to "budget" 175/55/15 on 4" wheels was astonishing.
Especially at the the first roundabout...... :lol:
:lol:

i run hard 45s on the front no issues at , however i feel wahat ya saying as had a blowout on two none load rated tyres before, saying that though they were 185 /35 /17.and on the rear .
Have run your size front tyres for over 8 thousand miles no problems at all, but your bus ya rules matey.

jth

I've decided to run with the 165's for now, but only because:

a) I already have them, brand new ready to go on my new wheels
b) I've got no spare money to buy different tyres at the moment
c) I can get the bus to MOT with these on
d) Others run these tyres without issues which gives me a little confidence everything will be OK..

If I don't like these then I will buy 175's in 2014.....

I ran conti 175,s for years and they were great even with a 6 inch drop at the front admittedly the shocks I had played a big part but I never had any rubbing ,
Just food for thought though my mate who is a traffic cop has run 165,s in his bus for years with no probs , but did day to me once that if you were involved in an accident and for some reason the vehicle was investigated by vosa they could possibly deem the tyres unfit for purpose which could also possibly deem your insurance invalid , plus mot people are slowly getting a bit picky on tyres now . Just food for thought thats all as the load ratings are bought into consideration . My mate still runs 165,s anyway lol

bac2ba6 said:
I ran conti 175,s for years and they were great even with a 6 inch drop at the front admittedly the shocks I had played a big part but I never had any rubbing ,
Just food for thought though my mate who is a traffic cop has run 165,s in his bus for years with no probs , but did day to me once that if you were involved in an accident and for some reason the vehicle was investigated by vosa they could possibly deem the tyres unfit for purpose which could also possibly deem your insurance invalid , plus mot people are slowly getting a bit picky on tyres now . Just food for thought thats all as the load ratings are bought into consideration . My mate still runs 165,s anyway lol

There's technically an argument that we should all be using commercial van tyres.... And I can see why... But.............

Interesting info. I've looked into the legalities surrounding tyres and load ratings in the past and found the following. http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Replacing_Car_Tyres_1_June_2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quotes direct from this document.

UK law does stipulate replacement tyres must have a Load Index equal to or higher than the original fit tyre.

When replacing tyres it is very important that not only the tyre size is equivalent to the original fit tyres, but that the “Load Index” and “Speed Symbol” are equal to or higher than the original fit tyres.

We're all screwed if the shit hits the fan. :shock:

aspro said:
Interesting info. I've looked into the legalities surrounding tyres and load ratings in the past and found the following. http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Replacing_Car_Tyres_1_June_2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quotes direct from this document.

UK law does stipulate replacement tyres must have a Load Index equal to or higher than the original fit tyre.

When replacing tyres it is very important that not only the tyre size is equivalent to the original fit tyres, but that the “Load Index” and “Speed Symbol” are equal to or higher than the original fit tyres.

We're all screwed if the shit hits the fan. :shock:

Hi,

There has been a similar thread before - take a look here giys:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50471&start=0&hilit=tyre+load+index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally, I like the look of the lower tyres if you have a lowered bus, but why then run them narrower than stock, with a load rating not suited to carry the weight of the vehicle, let along fully loaded with camping gear - seriously guys, I would have thought, god forbid if there is a accident, or just a VOSA check after a show, the wrong tyres you are screwed!? You've seen on telly VOSA/traffic cops checks on lorrys and pick ups with over weight loads, a slammed bus is a red rag to a bull.

It wont be long before Police start stopping people, they stop the boy racers with loud exhausts, why give them a excuse to stop you? Surprised the Police in Europe dont do this, and the amount of you guys running to Euro show. Ned from Hayburner fell fowl of the law in Europe in the DKW bus - had to tow it out of the country, they wouldn't let him run the vehicle. And it has a UK MOT, I forget the reasons why, but was quite draconian.

In some Euro countrys you can't tow a car on a a frame behind your motorhome, so you can imagine what they would make of the wrong tires. :shock:

I know it's nice to run with the cool gear on, cos everyone does - don't make it "right" though (or safe) Just cos no one has heard of a blowout doesn't mean it wont happen, I can't imagine what would happen with a slammed bus with a blowout - I suspect a lot of metal touching the ground very quickly.... :shock:

I don't mean to sound like a old git, but be carefull out there people!

Cheers,

Alistair

Shorty said:
bac2ba6 said:

There's technically an argument that we should all be using commercial van tyres.... And I can see why... But.............

Or at least the correct load rating. Traffic cop running the wrong tyres for years :?: :roll: :lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts