lowered bus, removing wheel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl Bay

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

As mentioned here and elsewhere before it's a major PITA.
I'm not slammed and I have adjustable springplates. Lower shockmount is loose (but that doesn't seem to do anything, the stock shock could extend a lot further)
So, stock tires before with 185R14 are almost not removable. The new setup is 195/70 15" and almost doesn't go on. I finally did it with almost ruining the wheel well and the tyre
with the help of a big hammer on a second jack aiding the tirewall over the brakedrum.

mounted

jacked up, lower shockmount undone

Is this the ultimate solution http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319186&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Is there sth else I'm missing?
Or should I simply remove the drum with the mounted wheel next time, which seems to be the easiest thing I can think of right now.

Am I doing sth wrong?
I really love the current setup and would like to keep it like this. But a puncture under these circumstances sounds like an absolute nightmare.
If that's what it takes to be lowered I'm going baja style. If I can find a garage I can afford and fit into.....

How do you guys do it?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Please shool me

What is the problem exactly - is it the wheel not dropping low enough to allow the tire to clear the arch, or is it the wheel being so close to the arch that the tyre hits it and won't allow it to drop any further?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you undone the locking nut on the adjustable spring plate? This will allow it to drop, assuming the bottom shock bolt is removed.

No I haven't. Assuming the locking nut is the 3rd nut to the left in the top pic which some adjustable springplates don't have.
I'll give that one a try.

Yeh that's the one. You can see that this bolt is holding the spring plate almost entirely in it's upper position - loosen this and your wheel will drop a lot lower.

Deflating the tyre helps too, if it does not clear the arch after releasing the spring plate.

Turns out removing the wheel is a piece of cake if you stick to the advice given above.
Thanks for the help, I have to admit I feel a bit :oops:

[THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN] We all ask them from time to time!

Latest posts