Lowered? What exhaust?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_troupster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was having a poke around under my van today. The exhaust has seen better days so I'm wondering what to start looking out for next. Currently ive got a cheap 4 into 1 and a dual quiet pack. Which I dont mind, but i'll be looking to go a bit lower in the future which will bring this type of system into scraping distance with the ground. What systems are out there that offer a bit more clearance?

Cheers,
Jim

I think a beetle silencer or stock bus one is about as tucked away as they get. I've just replaced my 4:1/silencer with a beetle one - I like the twin pipes - better breathing and they sound good. :)

ZedBed said:
I think a beetle silencer or stock bus one is about as tucked away as they get. I've just replaced my 4:1/silencer with a beetle one - I like the twin pipes - better breathing and they sound good. :)

Me too!

I think a beetle silencer or stock bus one is about as tucked away as they get. I've just replaced my 4:1/silencer with a beetle one - I like the twin pipes - better breathing and they sound good.

Can you recommend one?

Cuban Breeze said:
I think a beetle silencer or stock bus one is about as tucked away as they get. I've just replaced my 4:1/silencer with a beetle one - I like the twin pipes - better breathing and they sound good.

Can you recommend one?

I got the best quality beetle twin port one from vwheritage then chopped off and filled the preheat holes (got twin carbs) and welded a bung for my o2 sensor into it. Go cheapie taper tips on it at the moment gonna swap them for some stainless ones I think!

There was only one available when I got mine at Heritage so I just bought that. £60-70.
I've got these joke tail pipes on at the moment - sounds like a lancaster bomber. :mrgreen:

DSCF4784.jpg

Not as low as some on here, but Beetle exhaust with twin bus tailpipes for me too.

CIMG9745.jpg

Note that early bay tailpipes pipes like mine don't bolt straight onto a Beetle box, but require some modification as they are a smaller outer diameter than Beetle ones.

Mines only a lowered one spline at the back but a cut and rewelded tuck away fits nice, plenty of room and sounds very nice too!

DSCF0073.jpg

Thanks guys,

Yeah it looks like it's going to have to be stock style. I might treat myself to a stainless jobbie. Either Vintage Speed, Bluebird or other. Anyone any comments on these?

Here's how mine looks at the moment.

IMG_0075.jpg

Bumper to go back on when i've wet sanded the fresh paint. I'm hoping to go down 2-3 inches more at the back to bring it level with the front. I'll probably be looking at shorter shocks, engine bar mods and some 'c' notching on the chassis aswell!

Thanks again,
Jim

Hi all, I too have to replace my exhaust as its full of holes and I don't like the look of the monza 4 tip on my bus.

I like the look of a beetle twin pipe but will they be a little restrictive compared to 4 into 1 system and quiet pack?

I'm stock ride height so no clearance issues.

Cheers

Oh.go.on.then said:
..........I like the look of a beetle twin pipe but will they be a little restrictive compared to 4 into 1 system and quiet pack? .........

Definitely!! Better breathing means more power, although how much better it will be will depend greatly on what else you have done to your engine.

madman said:
Oh.go.on.then said:
..........I like the look of a beetle twin pipe but will they be a little restrictive compared to 4 into 1 system and quiet pack? .........

Definitely!! Better breathing means more power, although how much better it will be will depend greatly on what else you have done to your engine.

this is something I've wondered - if the std beetle exhaust is as good in real terms as a off the shelf cheapo 4into1 and not-so-quietpack.
I also need to replace mine - vintagespeed is out of my price range tbh - I have a big valve headed 1745, so breathing is essential - I realise the 28 vents need to be 30's due to the valves!
also I have a bug exhaust....

madman said:
Oh.go.on.then said:

The stock Beetle backbox isn't actually *that* restrictive, and is quite a nice design. It even has equal length pipes.

Don't forget the Porsche Salzberg rally Beetles had standard Beetle exhausts with the baffles removed, and were producing 125bhp...

http://thesalzburgrallyebeetle.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

In terms of good exhausts you really can't beat a CSP python.

My van is reasonable low at the back, and the tail pipe does get sharpened on some speed bumps, it can easily be cut and turned abit (just not got round to having this done).

Downsides is the price....

Mine is the blue car...

Beware of cheap small flange 4 into 1 exhausts. Laurie Pettit found they were more restrictive than stock. These were not made to make VWs go faster, they were made to fill wallets faster.

Better quality large flange are ok - though rather noisy.

Trikky2 said:
Beware of cheap small flange 4 into 1 exhausts. Laurie Pettit found they were more restrictive than stock. These were not made to make VWs go faster, they were made to fill wallets faster.

Better quality large flange are ok - though rather noisy.
this was the response I was hoping for...

my quietpack [non stainless] is noisy and disintegrating before my eyes - and it is a cheap small flange - which also makes the rear valance so very hot...

is there anything that can be done to a stock exhaust [old school tech] to make it better?

Latest posts