Lowering & cost please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splitstop63

Reaction score
Let me be toatly honest I’m useless before I start so I don’t mess at all unfortunately v dubs are bottom less money pits to me but love owning & driving them and the people you meet just an expensive hobby when you useless

Just bought an early bay patina fresh Cali import being collected next week

How much am I looking to lower it please???& what should I start gathering towards the job please???

Nothing drastic to start just a 2” drop maybe I’d love to drop it like me nans tits but too many sleeping police men by me & I am near 50 lol 😆

It's not really a direct answer to your question but I would first make sure that everything else is in order. Most importantly brakes, steering, lights, ball joints tires, engine etc. Then you can turn to optional things such as lowering. Probably the best way to go for lowering is a combination of quality dropped spindles in conjunction with an adjustable front beam. Use the search function. Has been covered many times before.

Graham at Midland Earlybay is the man to speak toooo. He has the UK franchise I think it is for French Slammer lowering. He provides a drive in and drive out service but not sure how long they’d need it for. Top fella, knows his onions and comes recommended across the board for all VW works especially the lowering side of things. With lowering, you can get silly at ten grand plus easily, but I’m guessing you’d want lowered spindles etc to the front and a spline or two on the rear, so give Graham a call when you’ve got your bus here and he’ll take care of you.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, he’s been going a good time too.

I’d put money on whatever you come to fit, you’ll find a wealth of other parts that need replacing at the same time, as per comments above. Brake cylinders, pads, shock absorbers, track rod ends, drag link, steering column coupling, gear shifter, wheel bearings, seals, bushes - there’s plenty that you’ll be taking apart for even a mild lowering job.

Most people would recommend dropped spindles and adjustable spring plates, as these will give you a nice starting point for a drop and will come in handy if you want to go lower in future. You’d be looking at somewhere in the region of £800 for these parts alone, but obviously this figure will rise rapidly if you need someone to fit them and / or you find other stuff that needs replacing.

The next step in from here (don’t take this as the only option) would be a narrowed and adjustable beam and some coilovers, and you will also be requiring lower profile tyres. At this point, you can stick with ball joint front ends, but might need to start thinking about front tubs and rear chassis notches.

After that, king and link beam, engine raises, beam raises, hydraulic or air ride and some ground-hugging action and wallet emptying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts