Lowering Guide price....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi all doods and dooodettes! :D

I am after some information.

What would you expect to pay in order to lower your van on the front?

By lowering I mean, what have you had done and what did it cost?

I know some places offer a standard price for drive in and then drive out lowered, but can you let me know hwat sort of prices people have paid for what work. Particularly the following senarios....

Front only
1. Old beam out, New beam and shocks put back in.
2. Old beam out, adjusters fitted and put back in with new shocks.
+ dropped spindles to any of these.

It would really help me out if you could let me know.

Cheers all :wink:

My van is currently in the garage getting lowered. It will cost me £395. The cost includes labour and parts, it will involve....

Original beam out
Stripped down and inspected
Blasted
csp adjusters welded in
re-painted
Put back in
As well as having all the brakes bled etc...
The rear is getting lowered 1 outer.
The work is being carried out at a local vw/custom shop.

It is not getting slammed so it will run on its original shocks for now. As well as stock 14" rims and commercial tyres. I picked up a bargain steering damper which will also be fitted at the same time.
I have been warned that the price may go up if he finds any rust issues or damages a brake line etc...In this case he will halt all the work untill i have a looksy and discuss some options.

cheers rob-stone :wink:

keep em coming, this is exactly the info I need :D 8)

Yeah, the BusBarn charged me £400 to do pretty much what Rob Stone's having done.

8)

No worries dude.
Im just waiting for another Tamworthian to say they had the same work done for alot less :D
I settled on this route after a number of options.

Option 1
Buy myself some adjusters, £100 ish.
Remove the beam myself, strip and prep it. Now i dont trust my welding and didnt want to re-learn on my beam. I had the option to give it to a friend, with instructions so that he could weld it for me for a £50. Meanwhile i would learn how to drop the back end. With paint i reckon i could have done the work for less than £200.

Option 2
The red 9 kit. £320 for a 4-5" drop kit. The kit looks simple to install, but after reading the scaremonger posts i decided against this option.

Option 3
A complete fresh beam from CoolAir. £400 for a late bay beam with servo bracket. My plan was to do a simple swap over and then sell my old beam to get some money back. When i phoned them there was a long waiting list.

Option 4
Weedeater beam from Creative Engineering. £450 for a nice 2" narrow job that would come in usefull if i decide on dropped spindles for the furure.

Option 5
Just dropped spindles. But i think £400 for just a 2.5" drop is a bit steep. I prefer to do the beam first, then perhaps spindles. No point fitting the spindles, then having to strip everything back down again the do the beam.

Option 6
Find that bloke on VZI who does the drive in-out job in a day. I decided against this because i prefer to work with local people i trust rather than strangers, also. I think he is based miles away from me.

I decided against the DIY options for 2 main reasons. Firstly im a handsome lad and dont like to get too grubby :wink: ......i have to work outside in cramped conditions. Sods law means it would constantly rain as soon as i start work. :D I am also ashamed to say i dont own a jack big enough to lift the van, this would have added an extra £50-100 to the lowering budget.

I cant wait to get mine back now.

rob-stone said:
Option 6
Find that bloke on VZI who does the drive in-out job in a day. I decided against this because i prefer to work with local people i trust rather than strangers, also. I think he is based miles away from me.

His name's Justyn, I think he's in Hampshire/Surrey...

It's not me by the way! :oops:

;)

sorry went the cheaper option, bought an adjuster for around £90 (fosky) stripped in down and got a friend to weld it up,just had to keep the tea coming and buy him a bag of chips when dinner came round :D , un - like Rob- stone's comments, I'm not a handsome chap and whilst I pen push all week I do not mind getting dirty on the weekends :? . So overall cost a fosky, a day of my time, tin of paint, tea and a bag of chips (the best food money can buy)

mine is going in mid march, beam off, strip, adjusters fitted, bump stops cut and welded, refinished and refitted for £300 (plus any bearings/joints that need doing whist it is off) :?:

Many thanks chaps :D keep em coming.

At the mo it looks like a rough guide price for beam out, clean up, adjusters fitted, painted & put back in for around £300 - £400.

Need a few more experiences of what you have all paid for me info. 8)

Once again dudes much appreciated. :wink:

rob-stone said:
No worries dude.
Im just waiting for another Tamworthian to say they had the same work done for alot less :D

Looks like your that Tamwothian.. I'm being charged 450.. but then again my wheels and tyres are being swapped (hopefully)

going to be delicious when i get her back

is yours finished now rob?

hasthespaz said:
rob-stone said:
No worries dude.

Looks like your that Tamwothian.. I'm being charged 450.. but then again my wheels and tyres are being swapped (hopefully)

going to be delicious when i get her back

is yours finished now rob?

Im getting mine back next week, i cant wait. Will look sweet with my new white-walls
Next job is to tackle the paint.

I saw yous in the shop looking all sad without its front end.

Back to the thread...it looks like £300-£400 is the budget for lowering. any more than this and your looking at Link Pin conversions for serious slammage mods.

Thought yours was lowered Easy ?

I will let you know when I get mine done , be a while yet but made enquiries at 3 places we all know and they were all close two bein exactly the same and one being £400 more :shock:

Hey Grazy, mine is indeed slammed and as we speak is going lower :wink: I am just trying to get a cross section of prices from around the UK for doing a mild lowering job on a bay.

Its actually turning out to be quite uniform and the range at the moment is £300 - a max of £450 for front end lowering of beam out recon, adjusters fitted and all replaced.

If you all have any more prices, please let me know. :D

Justin & Mutley said:
rob-stone said:
Option 6

;)

He is in Petersfield. He made the stretched black bay with the 2.5L engine that is often at Bugjam and beachbuggin.

Never met him myself but i think he is pipjes on vzi.

halfpint_fighter said:
Justin & Mutley said:
rob-stone said:
Option 6

;)

He is in Petersfield. He made the stretched black bay with the 2.5L engine that is often at Bugjam and beachbuggin.

Never met him myself but i think he is pipjes on vzi.

Had my bay done last week by Justin. Spot on bloke that seemed to know his shit.
Removed the beam, cleaned up, welded in the adjusters, Checked all the components while they are dismantled, bolt it all back together, drop 1 outer at the rear, make sure it's all level and adjust the tracking.

Over the moon with the ride quality and look of it all. Handles more like a car know rather than an airbed :lol: and still a smooth comfy ride. And was happy to pay £300

Here's his ad on VZI http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=267107

Cheers Joe.skids 8) appreciated 8)

Latest posts