Lowering

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shaggy, You're opening a can of worms here!
The Red9 kit has been discussed (sometimes heatedly) at length on VZI and JK Kamperchat (and this forum) with lots of different opinions offered.

Personally I think it looks like a clever bit of engineering, and I'm deffo very tempted myself, but some have expressed safety concerns because the whole weight of your bus is held by a shear bolt that was originally only meant to hold the shock absorber!
There have been lots of scare stories about buses that have crashed because the shear bolt has failed - but i must add that as far as I know these stories are more hearsay than anything else - and anyway, Red9 now offer a modified bump-stop that would halt a catastrophic failure caused by your tyre ending up stuck to your inner wheel arch!!!

If it was me, I'd be tempted - I like the idea that you can return to stock if you choose to, it's adjustable, it's very well made, the guys seems to know what they're doing, the ride is quite nice :D

;)

This should link to one of the vzi threads.

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=367552

I am interested in this kit, so i'm also looking for as much info as poss.

Red9 now offer a modified bump-stop that would halt a catastrophic failure caused by your tyre ending up stuck to your inner wheel arch!!![/quote said:
Well if your tyre did end up under your wheel it would be lower...haha but I like the idea of a bumb stop, im gonna look into that :D

^^^LWHS^^^

I wouldn't mind going in a van that's had it done just to see what the fuss is about - but does look good :D

How about if we all get together, and pay for them fit them on my van, and you can all have a ride see how it is, then buy your own...hehehehe :twisted:

Im gonna drop it on the front about 5" and leave the back as is, but maybe for the back get some bigger wheels bit like the stock ones :D and I can't wait :D

Yo Shagster, have those bits arrived yet?? the suspense is killing me, just waiting for you to do the guinea pig stuff, so i can slam mine too :)

Hello my people...haha

Well bad news, as unforeseen money problems have come up, I can now longer get the Red 9 Design Shocks, BUGGER!

But can I just say the Guys a Red 9 Design are really really nice people and very helpful, and I still think there kit is Great :D

Well that was an interesting post over on vzi. I was contemplating this kit as well as i want no compromise to ride but the lowered look.

The thing is they have been fitting these for a while now (a year or more?) no one has come forward and said "mine failed and i lost control and totalled my bus"?

The main safety concern is that the full weight of the bus is resting on 4 screws. I mean... did you know that the full weight of a 747 engine and its tens of thousands of pounds of thrust rest on one main bolt attached to the wing?.

Has anyone figured out if, during a failure, what effect the new bump stops provided would have in this scenario? would they do their job?

I'm still going to fit the full kit front and back, but ill be getting new stainless steel bolts and the area in question on the beam, fully inspected by a professional before i do so...

Thats a few months off yet.

Latest posts