LSD CA code box

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chico

Reaction score
Hi All
Im starting the search for a replacement / upgraded gearbox, currently running standard 3 rib CA code box which is ok but jumps out of 4th on acceleration ( or some times over bumps ) , had this box with 1600 single carb and was woeful ,had it with the twin carb 1776 and was great ,now running the 2180 and its not quite cutting it ,every gear feels a little short and the 4th gear jumping out is driving me little mad .doesn't happen some days won't stop other doing it other times .
Im not a speed demon will never need to go over 100mph( and that's unlikely ) ,would like to cruise at 75 at 3k revs-ish ( for noise /sound purposes) , however most of my driving ( I use the van for work on a daily basis ) is country B roads and little hills ,a few bigger hills about ,there isn't many flat roads , and van is nearly always heavy , roof rack ladders / compost/ post crete essentially running a fully loaded van everyday ,16mpg : gulp, but does make me smile : Stock height + a few mm ( some customers are down off road tracks / mini green lanes )

I would like a LSD ( like the Quaife 1302 system) anyone know if this is possible ?
and or recommended gearbox options

For Reference

Wheels 215 x 75 x 15
2180 cc w110 cam ,panchitto heads , twin web 44 idfs python 42mm with cone reducer , approx 145BHP flywheel not wheels , but rolling road session was a bit of a waste ( long storey) I've changed jets since and runs much better, still tinkering , new rolling road being built near me soon:) , so will be able to get dialled in a bit better . I would say its probably 110 Whp - 140 BHP

Many thanks for your help/ advise always appreciated

Chico

P.S will do a write up post pics on engine build one day / and big thanks to Rob and Jo at RJ's for the machine work/balancing .

LSD aside for a moment, it does sound like your existing three rib is being ‘slightly’ over stressed as you’ve upped your overall gear ratios with them wheels, and you’ve upped your donkey power a too :shock: :shock: :shock: . It is a testament to the amount that these vehicles were over engineered to make them last this long, gearboxes included :mrgreen: If you’re running this as your daily, I think the top advice is to get a six rib and run that, when it gets tired then get it rebuilt at Bears or similar and that’s when you might want to talk to them about LSD but I don’t think rebuilding your three rib is really gonna give you what you really want. A six rib in reasonable condition will get some noughts off of most peeps bank balance and will set you back a grand I would think for a decent runner, that would give you a touch more on your gearing and stretch it out a bit, plus it should be more able to handle those couple of extra donkeys that you got running around in your noisey cupboard :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,as a daily it sounds just perfect :mrgreen:

Latest posts