Meet Bella my December 69 Westy (Born on the 19th December)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also over the winter I spent some time on the flooring, I used two 6x4 sheets:

Due to the 8x4 generic size in the UK this will mean that some joining of the plywood is inevitable.

The Sub floor section measures 4 feet from the rear of the cab area where it meets the rear panels that cover the engine bay, by coincidence this allows the floor to fit almost perfectly into a 1400 mm bay that is formed in the sub floor. The area narrows towards the front of the cab area about a foot from the seat bulkhead and you can see this in the pictures. I have not covered these small indentations as my sink unit and buddy seat will cover these areas so no feet will be steping in this area.

If you have no furniture then I suggest you fab up a small piece to fill in the curved area in the picture

I have also cut two small infill pieces to cover the floor cut-outs and these are also pictured.

The join between the Sub and top floor is staggered in my example and I think it’s the best compromise due to the size of ply panels available.

I was able to get my floor for a total cost of £29 including the cutting of the main pieces.

I cut the slots for the fixings with my dremel and a set of mini cutting disks I bought from “Boyes” in the North East (A lot like Woolworths) for a fiver and it made the process a lot easier.

Updated Floor Cutting List here : http://www.eeza.co.uk/Camper/Westyfloor.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMAG0821_zps864dda21.jpg

IMAG0820_zps9ec1d3a7.jpg

Nice Slippers :mrgreen:

IMAG0819_zpsbd7420d3.jpg

The end result looks great and with some cheap double sided tape the join line is about 40 mm in front of the refurbished (make that NEW westy seat / bed base) so under some nice vinyl it won’t be seen

IMAG0818_zps5aeb12c9.jpg

IMAG0817_zpsf17c2304.jpg

Happy with the results :lol: :mrgreen:

Bit of an update, I have been busy this month creating a new seat bed / base for my westy, take a 43 year old bed base and measure up twice (make that 3 times) and have the timber cut at my favourite merchants. Then assemble, trial fit, adjust and then try again. Finally assemble, glue, staple and use the original fittings and hardware then varnish in Satin clear.

This is what I started with:

Work in Progress :

The only bit left from the original :

I am actually really chuffed with the results and it looks better in the flesh :mrgreen:

Made a start on the Sink, again 40 years of wear and tear :?

Well Finished nearly all the work on the Westy fridge unit, I glued the laminated sides back and then removed the bottom closing panel, stripped the unit down and used some wood preserver and got it well soaked into the timber.

I then sanded and used the same satin varnisn on the insides as I used on the bed base.

Even though the fridge liner won’t be seen I had to give it a bit of a refinish in white emulsion.

I know how you love pictures so here goes:

From this:

To this:

New base closing panel and the back of the fridge:

The top just unscrewed and allowed me to fab up the rear of the sink bit :

Work in progress:

New base ;)

Rear of the year? :mrgreen:

I put it back in the westy and was really surprised how little room there is in the back now :!: Not sure If I like it

Jobs to complete, new canvas, repair roof timbers first, new ply headliner. I was thinking about buying one but they are disproportionately expensive for what they are (bits of thin plywood) so have been messing around with some "Signage" board (we use it at trade shows), it's 3.5mm PVC type material, bends easy and can be cut with a Stanley knife so I may fab up the panels in that stuff and then use them as templates or alternatively leave them, they can’t rot and will wipe clean with a cloth

Well a bit of fun in the Camper this weekend, I bought some vinyl tiles in a nice pastel Blue and Yellow and had a go over the weekend. Super price, dead easy and look fine IMHO

Just got to finish under the bed and buddy seat :oops:

Latest posts