Megasquirt and Injection upgrade project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haveacamper said:
OK, so some of you know that I moved over to Australia for a couple of years and as a result have had to leave the camper behind in storage. having not that long finished a 5yr resto on my bus I obviously miss the hell out of not having the chance to drive or work on her.

Therefore, while I am over here I have decided to work on a project that I can upgrade when we return in a yr or two....yep a slow burn project.

So a bit of history...I am running a 3.0L Porsche 911 SC engine. This engine has a standard Bosch fuel injection system fitted - type k-jet. K-Jet stands for continuous injection. In other words fuel is injected constantly, whether the inlet valves are open or closed. as the valve opens the already pre atomised fuel is sucked into the combustion chamber until the valve closes again. This system works well when tuned, but is a bit of a nightmare when it doesn't run well. I have had a little bit of trouble keeping the engine tuned. so i have chosen to upgrade the fuel injection system.

I am going to be fitting a Porsche Carrera 3.2L fuel injection system with a bit of a twist. I am going to build my own Megasquirt 3 ECU.

it is possible to modify the CIS (Continuous Injection System) I have, but I want to do a swap out and possibly sell the original CIS system further down the line. Also, and most importantly, the 3.2L setup will look a hell of a lot better than a modified CIS system. to give you an idea this is the modifying option:

Standard CIS system:
CIS_zps856eca9a.jpg

Modified CIS system:
bitzracing_kit_zps44b18d10.jpg

Rather than butchering up the original I have bought this:
20140117_210345_zpsbew5qm0b.jpg

The plan is to fit the Megasquirt ECU so I have sequential firing and injection

So what will I have to do on engine...briefly....
- Change fuel injectors to high impedence injectors
- Fit MAP sensor (manifold Absolute Pressure)
- Fit Manifold air temperature sensor
- TPS (Throttle position sensor)
- O2 sensor - wide or narrow band
- Crank trigger wheel
- Cam sensor - either direct from the cam or modify distributor
- may replace fuel pressure regulator with adjustable FPR

As for the ECU....
I have ordered the unassembled version MS3 with the MS3X (expansion) to allow me to build in what I want to build in (which will probably be everything!). I have bought the stimulator too, which will enable me to bench test along the way and make sure that its working ok before I put in on the engine.

For those interested I ordered it from http://www.diyautotune.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MS3 - http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtiii-wpcb-v30-unassembled-kit-with-black-case-p-419.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MS3X - http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtiii-ms3x-expansion-card-p-434.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimStim - http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/jimstim-v15-megasquirt-stimulator-wheel-simulator-unassembl-p-174.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimStimX - http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/jimstimx-expansion-board-unassembled-p-473.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Megasquirt parcel is due to arrive next week so I will update then

NaFe

Yeah, all looks fairly straight forward, let me know if you get stuck. :shock:

Andy,

I will be definitely back in the UK between 18th July and 29th August as I will be going to my brother-in-laws wedding and my own wedding :). Having said that, we currently do not know whether we are going to be moving back for good before/for the 18th Julyish or we may come back for the a period before coming back to oz for a while then move back for good. There are a lot of things that have to align for us to be able to come back for a temporary visit rather than permanently - the firs to which is a renewal of my contract hopefully in the coming months. we're not trying to worry about it too much at the moment as it can soon detract from just enjoying life here. and we can still save like crazy while still enjoying ourselves to the full!

All of the megasquirt stuff so far is probably the easier bits. As normal, I have not chosen the simplest install in terms of controlling fully sequential fuel and spark - especially with Coil-on-plug affair. At least being here, I should have plenty of time to read, read, and read again before I start ripping the engine out :)

I dare say that I will post some more pics in the coming weeks once, I have my goodies from the US and update my ECU board.

Haveacamper said:
I will be definitely back in the UK between 18th July and 29th August as I will be going to my brother-in-laws wedding and my own wedding :). Having said that, we currently do not know whether we are going to be moving back for good before/for the 18th Julyish or we may come back for the a period before coming back to oz for a while then move back for good. There are a lot of things that have to align for us to be able to come back for a temporary visit rather than permanently - the firs to which is a renewal of my contract hopefully in the coming months. we're not trying to worry about it too much at the moment as it can soon detract from just enjoying life here. and we can still save like crazy while still enjoying ourselves to the full!

All of the megasquirt stuff so far is probably the easier bits. As normal, I have not chosen the simplest install in terms of controlling fully sequential fuel and spark - especially with Coil-on-plug affair. At least being here, I should have plenty of time to read, read, and read again before I start ripping the engine out :)

I dare say that I will post some more pics in the coming weeks once, I have my goodies from the US and update my ECU board.

Gives you plenty of time to save then for your own wedding ;)

so another little update on my parts collection:
20141114_181939_zpsbldyjrwa.jpg

-two innovate LC-2 controllers and wideband exhaust sensors
-throttle position sensor
-knock sensor module to fit to my ecu board (will have to modify the board a little, but think its just a matter of fitting a few jumper wires
-the black circle by the blue switch is a mount for the cam sync for reading TDC on no.1 from clewtt engineering. fits like this: http://www.clewett.com/instrux/cam-ins.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-air inlet temp sensor
-a load of switches and connectors for wiring all up and for my engine bay fuse box.

still have a few bits still to buy but the only main things are the coil-on-plugs, the injectors and fuel pressure reg. with pressure gauge

I've still been working on the wiring design and trying to minimize it as much as possible...trying to be clever on where it will be installed.

I came across these fuse/relay boxes which are quite smart: http://www.swecheck.com.au/catalog/9004.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, when you add up the price of the box/es and relays and pins with seals it gets pretty pricey. think i'll go for it though...it wil be cheaper if i spread the cost over a longer period lol.

Latest posts