Merry Christmas? More like Happy Easter!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete B

Reaction score
Not in, but 9 miles north of Peterborough
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Bus
Just popped into Tesco for fresh bread and some milk. Had a chat with a mate who works there and he said (you know where this is going....) that yesterday they took delivery of the first batch of Easter eggs. As we spoke, space was being cleared to put them on the shelves. You couldn't make it up.

It's Christmas Eve for goodness sake! I mentioned to one of his colleagues that it was perhaps a little premature to be thinking of the resurection before celebrating the birth but was met with a blank look......

According to my mate, Tesco as a whole, last year sold 3 million easter eggs between Christmas eve and new years eve. The world really has gone mad.

Oh, and a Merry Christmas to all (before it's too late). :lol:

now, i am in no way religeous :msn4: but i really think that we have lost the spirit of Christmas as a nation :shock: :shock: . Sales are on before January, Easter Eggs in the shops now, even cards say Happy Holidays rather than Happy Christmas. I have not recieved one card with a religeous scene, no wise men, no stars and no baby jesus. Rant over :D

thejinx said:
now, i am in no way religeous :msn4: but i really think that we have lost the spirit of Christmas as a nation :shock: :shock: . Sales are on before January, Easter Eggs in the shops now, even cards say Happy Holidays rather than Happy Christmas. I have not recieved one card with a religeous scene, no wise men, no stars and no baby jesus. Rant over :D

I agree totally. I'm not religious myself, my church attendances are strictly 'hatch, match or despatch', but at the end of the day Christmas is/was a religious festival. Do all those who party at this time of year and claim to be agnostic do the same for Jewish, Hindu, Sikh etc festivals? I'ts the hypocrisy and ignorance that I find so sad, gets me quite angry sometimes. I'm sure some people think Christmas is all about the sale at MFI and haven't a clue as to the significance of an egg at Easter.

As the late,great Dave Allen always said at the end of his shows, 'May your God go with you'. Brilliant!

Anyhow, I'm off to the pub for a skinfull, can't beat cooking Christmas lunch with a monumental hangover, that's what it's about right? ;)

As a devout atheist (i take time out of each day to renounce the exhistence of any higher being) and ex archaeologist, the whole concept of christmas entertains me,
I describe it as a celebration of the most fantastical coverup of an affair that went horribly wrong, and as with all stories like it, got too far got out of hand.
And also how the various christian holidays have all been shoe horned into pre exhisting pagan celebrations, not only in dates but also in their manner of celebration (mainly due to the victorians, a most religious of people)

however as a certified professional shit stirrer. i will always argue for the under represented side in any dispute. and can safely say i have ranted about this in the past, i personally may not follow a religion, but britain is a christian country (despite what the daily mail might say), the laws of the land were set out in accordance to the rules set out by the best selling book of all time, (the bible, not harry potter).

Christmas has become little more than an excuse for a day off and a family get together for most people. there is no problem with this, when else (other than weddings and funerals) do most people get their whole family together? (remember, traditional games that werent that much fun 20 years ago are not obligatory)
Easter is simply an excuse to consume your own body weight in chocolate.

I find that christmas advertising any time before december actually angers me. and why is it that it cannot be christmas until a coca cola advert comes on the tv? Yet another commercial link that makes no sense. Santa only wears red because the coca cola company changed his clothes from green to red on their advertising somewhere around 100 years ago. and now if anyone sees a picture of him dressed in his original green they complain it is not right... (oh and santa is from the pagan side of christmas)

and as for cards etc saying happy holidays... if they mean christmas they should say christmas, be proud of whatyou believe.but if we are not religious, on the 25th of december we are not celebrating christmas, we are taking advantage of the fact that our culture is based on religion and enjoying a free day off. how many people are royalists? and how many people had the royal wedding off? the results of that survey will never correlate, no matter how many people in the country you ask. I personally thoroughly enjoyed my day off, but still havent seen what dress she wore.

i suppose i should get back into my cage now... :msn4:

antoine said:
As a devout atheist (i take time out of each day to renounce the exhistence of any higher being) and ex archaeologist, the whole concept of christmas entertains me,
I describe it as a celebration of the most fantastical coverup of an affair that went horribly wrong, and as with all stories like it, got too far got out of hand.
And also how the various christian holidays have all been shoe horned into pre exhisting pagan celebrations, not only in dates but also in their manner of celebration (mainly due to the victorians, a most religious of people)

however as a certified professional shit stirrer. i will always argue for the under represented side in any dispute. and can safely say i have ranted about this in the past, i personally may not follow a religion, but britain is a christian country (despite what the daily mail might say), the laws of the land were set out in accordance to the rules set out by the best selling book of all time, (the bible, not harry potter).

Christmas has become little more than an excuse for a day off and a family get together for most people. there is no problem with this, when else (other than weddings and funerals) do most people get their whole family together? (remember, traditional games that werent that much fun 20 years ago are not obligatory)
Easter is simply an excuse to consume your own body weight in chocolate.

I find that christmas advertising any time before december actually angers me. and why is it that it cannot be christmas until a coca cola advert comes on the tv? Yet another commercial link that makes no sense. Santa only wears red because the coca cola company changed his clothes from green to red on their advertising somewhere around 100 years ago. and now if anyone sees a picture of him dressed in his original green they complain it is not right... (oh and santa is from the pagan side of christmas)

and as for cards etc saying happy holidays... if they mean christmas they should say christmas, be proud of whatyou believe.but if we are not religious, on the 25th of december we are not celebrating christmas, we are taking advantage of the fact that our culture is based on religion and enjoying a free day off. how many people are royalists? and how many people had the royal wedding off? the results of that survey will never correlate, no matter how many people in the country you ask. I personally thoroughly enjoyed my day off, but still havent seen what dress she wore.

i suppose i should get back into my cage now... :msn4:
i agree with most of what you said ;) the rest, i dont know anything about :roll:

I agree with you Antoine except for on one detail; Coca-Cola didn't change his colours to red. They just used the convenient red and white costume as it matched their branding. They didn't create it but because of their brand power and global popularity you could blame them for popularising this version of Santa to places that previously didn't have such traditions.

I too am an athiest and a proud player of the game of Devil's Advocate so couldn't let this minor mistake slip by :lol:

Oh and those "limited edition" Halloween Creme Eggs (the green ones) were so wrong they were right :D

I'm with you Antoine. Pagan Festival all the way and a bloody good reason to get together with family and friends, because most of the time we are too damn busy to make time for them.
Happy holidays everyone!!

And I will definitely agree to both of those ^^^ :lol: It`s great to have a break at the end of the year and catach up with everyone :mrgreen: Bit of a drought from the new year on the hols front though :cry: but saving them for better weather ain`t a bad move is it (no pun intended Dave :lol: ) What`s the first good show then ?????

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Mr memory man `NOT' , :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

gvee said:
I agree with you Antoine except for on one detail; Coca-Cola didn't change his colours to red. They just used the convenient red and white costume as it matched their branding. They didn't create it but because of their brand power and global popularity you could blame them for popularising this version of Santa to places that previously didn't have such traditions.

I too am an athiest and a proud player of the game of Devil's Advocate so couldn't let this minor mistake slip by :lol:

good point, i thought my rant was a bit too in depth to go back and correct myself. i have to leave some gaps for other pedantic people to fit their oar in ;)

:lol:

dam right people, Easter rather than being the ressurrection of Christ ( i did listen in school) is a rip off of a pagen tradition of spring and the start of a new farming year. As Homer Simpson says "Help me Jebus"

Latest posts