Meyle CV joints

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRAD

Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry if this is a repeat treble question.

I am fitting new cv joints today and ordered Meyle ones from VWH, I have three questions.

1. It has a cork gasket and recess, my old ones do not and it's not mentioned in any manual I own, so which side would that go on please? gaiter side?.

2. The ones I have taken off all have used the concave washer which also comes with the new ones, but the manuals say to not fit them and leave them off?.

3. and finally each joint has a smooth side and one side with a raised edge, is that also on the gaiter side or gearbox and wheel side?

Cheers

Brad :lol:

I’ve never seen them with a cork gasket ?

When I did mine I fitted the new washer although was in two minds.
If by the raised edge you mean one side has a line around it from memory I think these face outwards towards the wheel

Cheers Bob, no I'e never seen any with a cork gasket either.

I think I'll leave the washer off as both my manuals say to.
When I say the line I don't mean around the outside of the circumference these ones don't have that unlike all the others I have seen.
On the main part of the bearing that has the splines on the onside to mount on the drive shaft on side has a raised lip the other side is smooth?.

I did contact VWH but not had anything back yet.

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking.
I done the side that was a bit rough, left off the washer, gaskets facing the gaiter seemed more likely to me.

A messy shit job as three torx heads were stripped.

And worse of all the van is still making unhealthy noises! not a happy bunny, I'll check the rear brakes next to see if there is anything wrong there.

Latest posts