Mike Fs "Devon be gone" 72!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have just spent an hour on the phone to Chris discussing this and that. As you can see he's doing the job properly, keeping me informed and giving me options. Hopefully my missus won't get on this thread and see I could have said 'leave that until next time' more than once. And no telling her at Stanford Hall or wherever as I'll swear I know nothing about it!

Top fella Chris, great work!

well quick update. mikes bus now has sills on both sides! hoorah!
luckily they werent terrible and hadnt suffered as much as some british busses.
i used the best sills i could find (vw brazil) nice quality metal but lacking drain holes so i pressed some in, they will look completely OG now. hopefully they should last a good few years to come ;)
IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

im also in the middle of bare metalling the entire botom half of the bus. since mikes paint was very badly micro blistered after a certain car cover incident :evil: im not taking any chances, my lungs are currently very full of chianti red paint! yay :roll:
ill take it back to the original metal and then theres a lot less chance of problems coming back.

pics to follow... of the bus not my lungs! wierdos! :shock:

slammedkustom said:
im also in the middle of bare metalling the entire botom half of the bus. since mikes paint was very badly micro blistered after a certain car cover incident :evil: :

Just to make very clear that the cover I had for just six months when I'd had the front respryaed a few years ago was bought from those JoKers. They should hang their heads in shame for the shoddy attitude to my complaint, blaming my paint sprayer not their cheap and not so cheerful cover!

Great work Chris as ever!

since your on here mike you might want to know we pulled n tweaked the rear arches and your BRMs now fit with clearance ;)

well even tho mike sold a kidney to fund this little project it looks as though he may have to donate a lung as mine are now full of filler and old paint! took a week, many wire wheels and my new grinder (which exploded!) but we now have a mainly bare metal bus!
IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

i could have had the bus blasted but its a pain and can damage the sides of busses so i did it all by hand.. a long labourious task but its better in the long run.
I think mike was unsure of how good his bus was but it is a belter, both orginal cab steps are there, both original rear arches with just small local repairs needed. the bus is also pretty straight under all the old layers of paint. i did find way to much filler but as is often the case most of it was unnessercery

and finally an arty shot, this was taken at about 6am!
IMG_1613.jpg

also done this week...

Mike picked up a set or BRMs a while back but as sometimes happen they wouldnt fit the rear of the bus, tyres were sitting on the arches.
so one side the arch was pushed in a little so me and my work partner pulled it back out to how it should have been, the other side was in the right place but still touching the tyre...
IMG_1625.jpg

before i have trimmed back arches to give clearance but mikes bus had the spot welds very close to the edge of the lip so if id cut it back the edge would need welding, so out came the hammer and dolly and the arch was metal worked back into shape... a much nicer job and still original metal!
look at the clearence now!! ;)
IMG_1627.jpg

Mike F said:
Mike F said:
Hot Wheels Chianti Red Slammed Devon DeLuxe!

Doh! Forgot to add 'tintop'!

Hot Wheels Chianti Red Slammed Tintop Devon DeLuxe!

you might want to change that pic at the bottom soon! no more pop top...! :shock:
hope your happy with the progress! ;)

It's going to look sooooo good 8)

Chris...make it a proper "72 Hot Wheels" & pop a type 4 in the back :mrgreen:

id like to raise the back up, stick some 205, 70, 15s on the back and a buggy whip ariel...
but then i remember it not my bus :lol: ;)

slammedkustom said:
id like to raise the back up, stick some 205, 70, 15s on the back and a buggy whip ariel...
but then i remember it not my bus :lol: ;)

Thing is I'd put a Devon interior and some windows in your van given the chance! I'd then pass it on to Terry to fit a spare type 4 engine.

Its a good job you had a kidney to sell......a SK kidney wouldn't buy a set of scabby empi 5s :lol:

I'll be at the w/shop tomorrow adding a bit more "Kustom" to the SK bus 8)

Hi Mike

I met up with SK yesterday, your bus is in safe hands. I just wish I'd met him months ago!

Hope your bus doesn't take much longer...I'm at the back of the queue!

Latest posts