Mike Fs "Devon be gone" 72!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice work chris, im at the same stage but ive got alot of flash rust on the big panels (bared metalled and left for a year :oops: ). i thought of getting a soda blaster as it shouldnt warp anything, wadda ya think?

ive not used a soda blaster but have seen good results on the US sites. however they tend to only have a small working area so id be cautious of the heat build up that may warp panels.
to be honest a course grade (80 grit) on a DA works most of the time, covers big areas and you can move about to keep the heat build up down. also makes a good foundation for filler and first primer coats.
frost have a soda blasting kit out at the mo which apparently can be used on rubber, glass and chrome without damage :shock:

also i swear by jenolite at helping kill rust and keep it at bay, just dont use too much and make sure its 110% dry before painting anything over it
;)

hi all

just a little update, this week i have been mainly rubbing down filler! so its been snowing inside and outside the workshop! :shock:

anyhoo me and mike discussed paint schemes the other week and were undecided weather to stay with the colours it was or go for a clipper style paintjob in the original colours of chianti red and pastel white, like this
mikesbusred-1.jpg

i always thought the paint on the bus was a little too brown and against the chianti it looks very muddy
well i thought id do a little paintwork this week to break the days up so popped out and picked up a pot of L31H, i thought the deluxe trim and the BRMs would just pop against a chianti red background... i think i was right :D
what do you think mike ;) your gonna have to learn to polish that trim like i did
IMG_1660.jpg

see how brown the old colour is? and thats one of the better shades :shock:
IMG_1668.jpg

Harlequin said:
All crossovers should be Neptune Blue :mrgreen:

you just biased.... and a little jealous me thinks!

at this rate im gonna be the earlybay one stop resto shop!

well we had a bit of a problem on the front end, it was a bit rotten so i cut it off!
IMG_1635.jpg

looks better already
IMG_1639.jpg

new one on
IMG_1652.jpg

Eagle-eyed earlybayers will spot the work that James Wotton did a few years ago when replacing the front end. Some arse had nicked a Range Rover and used it to push the bus into my garage which is a little lower than the bus. The front end was rotten so I had it replaced but of course you could only get late fronts.

James being another expert knew the van would be wrong with high indictaors so he put them where they should be and welded up the old holes.

All this was before earlybay.com so I am most grateful to James for taking the time to do something which I didn't understand or appreciate at the time.

The only downside was that we let both the front and rear deluxe window trim go with the old rubber - luckily Chris kept the side window trim for me when working on the bus last year. It won't be going back in right now but kept for 'one day'.

By the way that red just looks superb Chris!

So chianti red a go go!? its such a nice colour, almost creamy rather than sharp.
the camera doesnt do it justice really
definatly makes the deluxe trim pop :D

so definatly not neptune blue like certain hecklers propose :shock: ;)

Seriously I always thought Mikes bus was a bit too dark, his collection of "bling" will really shine on the new paint 8)

slammedkustom said:
So chianti red a go go!? its such a nice colour, almost creamy rather than sharp.

You can paint the underneath neptune blue if you like!

Reckon we should buy options in Chianti Red as a few others may be asking for a respray.

terry mike can have as much bling as he likes but after all my hard work definatly.... NO BLOODY ROOFRACKS! :shock:

i would buy shares in chianti red but i think mikes is gonna be the last bus i ever restore :cry:
anyway it looks like its gonna be blue now?

but the problem is how do you get them to the show? your not bolting it on my roof! :lol: :shock: well i mean your roof... ;)

slammedkustom said:

most underated colour, oh yes!

Peggy01.jpg

Latest posts