Mobile welding

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetboy

Reaction score
Hi all,

not sure this is the right place for this this, but sure the mods will shift if need be ;)

Ok, 34 years in the bodywork game and a the trade is just not what it used to be :( to add to my diminishing faith in the trade I just got laid off for the second time this year on Friday! nice xmas present eh? :( and I have really had enough of working for main dealers and their outlets. :(

So, I had an idea back in June when I got laid off first and started putting things in place, this idea has now been thrust to the fore due to my current situation, and a little earlier than I planned. I am going to be venturing out on my own and offering a 'mobile welding service' for all classic marques of VW, buses, bugs etc, and I am also in the process of securing premises for the more time consuming jobs. The whole idea of earning a living working within the VW scene and doing something I have a passion for would be a dream come true. Not to mention the social side in meeting people with the same passion and sharing it with them.

Of course this is all in its infancy but gathering speed. My son is finishing the website and company logo etc, details of which I will post soon.
For now I am testing the water to see what reaction I get and to see what might be forthcoming. I am based in Surrey and looking to cover the South east/west area initially but will be willing to travel depending on a planned workload.

Like I said this has not the way I planned to get started but circumstances now dictate. I can be contacted on MARK 07982 237196 and emailed at [email protected]

Sorry to hear about the old job matey :(

But as the saying goes " this could be the start of something beautiful"
Great idea and best of luck with the new venture 8) 8)

all the best of luck with the new venture - exciting times.
I will point as many people as i can in your direction -- myself included :lol:
Rob

thats bad news just before xmas :( and good luck with youre new venture :D without preaching to the choir ...dont throw all youre eggs in the one basket, you could try advertising youre services with comercial veh companys, and m,o,t,centres, that farm out there welding jobs, small cash paying jobs help in a big way. if you know what i mean ,and can help when the vw,side is quite ..all the best with youre new venture pal :mrgreen:

Thank you gents for your kind comments :?

The garage I worked at for 20 years and still get staff discount on Mot's ;) can no longer do any welding and I've already had a word. So as much as I hope in the long run that vdubs will be the mainstream of this venture, I appreciate that I need to have other sources of work coming in.

I have already got two splits for the owner of one of the countrys main parts suppliers to get started. So hoping to get good feedback out there from that :D

Its scary stuff and not going to be easy but I am convinced that there is deffo a niche here ;)

Anything considered however big or small and anything put in my direction would be a great help guys.

I'll get Johnny to Tag you as a trader that way you can be stuck in the trader section for best views.....

Afternoon Mark.

Sorry to hear about your situation mate. Couldnt agree more about the car trade (what we do anyway) going to shit.
If i could go back in time i wouldnt have botherd and tried something else.

Nice to see your doing something about it though and i hope it goes well for you. Welding Bugs n Busses up everyday? Rather you than me :mrgreen: .

Sereously though mate, good luck, theres no work out there and i certainly wouldnt want to be made redundant at this time and fair play on you for doing something about it.

Good luck my Man.

Rich

Cheers Araon :?

I was just thinking that i'd have to keep going 'ttt' a very kind offer sir :D

One email already so fingers crossed something good will come out of it :D

streetboy said:
Thanks Rich. No good looking at your old bus, its to solid! :lol:

True :)

Have you replaced yours or you way to busy sorting the latest dropped stitch in the tapestry of life?

Rich

I do regret selling 'Old Blue' but hey ho! nothing yet Rich on the bus front and as you say too busy trying to get this off the ground to think about my own ride.

I've got the boys bug to play with when my VW withdrawel symptoms set in :lol:
Just rebuilt his lil stock 1200 into a 'hot 1200' and can't believe how well it goes :shock: 1641 gobbler ;)

Many thanks Clem.

I'll get back here with some pricing and travelling costs etc soon. Lots to get sorted and not a lot of time!

One of the reasons for becoming disallusioned with the trade is that nobody, not even the biggest and well known of bodyshops seem to want to do the job properly anymore. With the recession hitting hard many shops who have been around for years have gone to the wall, and those left have turned to 'repair, repair, repair' in other words smashing everything out and filling full of crud in order to cut costs.
Gone are the days of nice clean metalwork it seems.

Regards pricing, I want to offer a realistic and affordable price for work as I appreciate that money is tight for a lot of people right now, I'm not a greedy man but still need to make it a viable venture or there is no point persuing it. Above all else I want to give a quality service and do it right. With this kind of work its difficult to have set pricing as things can escalate as many will know. Jobs within range can be viewed and quoted for easy enough, but those some distance away need more thought.
I actually have a couple of guys who I requested send me some quality pics of their buses which will be a great help. Its then down to talking it through with them, what they want, their budgets etc.

I have a good friend who builds engines, quality engines and thinks along the same lines. He tends to keep a low profile and relies on word of mouth. Some of the quickest VWDRC engines have been built by him. He will build for people but stresses he will only use quality parts, build them right and build them once.

Just an update people.

Its been manic what with Xmas etc but I have been working hard at it and heading in the right direction. Response from here has been fantastic so far which fills me with optimism.
While keeping the angle on the 'Mobile' side, I have realised that I will also need a workshop as a base as some of the jobs been offerered are quite extensive.

Not easy round these parts to find something suitable and within a budget, but I have something promising in the pipeline. As soon as I have something concrete I will be in a position to start quoting and taking bookings.

My son is working on a website for me which should be ready to go live pretty soon. Clem, Am I ok to put up a link to it here?

Good luck with the venture. If you are near by in Surrey I'll certainly have some work for you on my hunk of rusting junk!

Hi all,

heres the link to the 'Vweld' website, ........... http://www.vweld.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this gives people an insight to what this venture is all about. Have a look and please feel free to comment if you can see room for improvment anywhere.

I'd like to say thanks to all those who have expressed an interest in having work done, and for all the support and encouragement.

i have some welding i was going to try myself but would be good to have someone do the larger jobs. Is Cambridge to far for you to travel?

Regards Lee

You have PM Lee, if a little overdue.

Well as an update things have been ticking along quite well and the response has been very pleasing.

I will be at Volksworld over the two days so if anyone has anything they might need doing now or in the future? it would be ideal opporunity to meet up and chew the fat about it.

Even it you just require some advice.

You can call me prior or over the weekend, Mark 07982 237196

Latest posts