Montana Red, with a hint of sun bleach.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgy

Reaction score
Ive been on this site for some time now and finally bought a fresh USA import last May. It took best part of last summer to get it up and running and to clean all the sand and Arizona dust out of it. So heres a few photos with more to follow.
P1010192.jpg

P1010148.jpg

P1010161.jpg

P1010221.jpg

Im well chuffed with how its turning out although on the down side I did have to sell my mint 67 one year only Beetle to make space for the van, but you cant take the family camping in a Beetle.
P1010013-1.jpg

The van has just passed its first MOT since I have owned it and although it failed on a few things (steering joints and suspension boots mainly) for some reason I was really pleased and it now really makes me smile every time walk into the garage and see it.
Looking forward to a full summers use (lets hope we get one this year)
Hope you enjoy
Dave

Why do red faded bus's look so good :). It never stopped with VAG colours i had a 94 Audi coupe that had a pink roof and tailgate due to the fade.

Nice looking bus with some good historic dents etc, need to be kept to preserve its past

Its raining AGAIN !!!! so time for an update.
I've been spending some time cleaning up the paintwork. I think its pretty much OG paint although there are some small areas which I think have had some paint. It may sound a little harsh but I found the best way of cleaning the grime off the top of the paint is with scotchbrite (scourer) and T cut followed by a generous helping of Collinite polish which brings up the great colour nicely. The right hand side has been done here
P1020650.jpg

Lots of other work has been done now including a change of wheels, removing the interior for a complete clean
P1010275.jpg

P1010279.jpg

New floor and clean / refit all cupboards
P1010347.jpg

New canvas
P1010229.jpg

engine out for a quick clean / tidy and new oil seals (ignore the cheap air filter the original oil bath will soon be going back on)
P1010467.jpg

A new head lining which is new ply covered in coffee sacks
P1010461.jpg

and this is where i am at now
P1020465.jpg

P1020468.jpg

Very nice looking westy. 8)
The scotchbrite pad on the paint sounds odd, though it looks like it worked.

Zebedee Its an an old bit of worn out scotchbrite so I guess its pretty much the same as fine wet and dry. The bonus is it molds itself to the shape of the bodywork and it seams to cut back to the decent paint under the layers of old dirt.

hart5lizard The ride is a little higher now than it was in the early photo being washed. Its is just on a set of adjusters. It rides quite well although I think the front shocks are uprated which were fitted in the US. The rear is just down a spline or two.

P1010202.jpg

Down behind the kick panels behind the indicator. Nothing but dust and cobwebs. Happy days !

Stunning bus mate. I love Montana red here's mine

06ec2cd6.jpg

Found it out in Cali in 2010 was all bleached and few rust areas so repaired the rust and had it mopped then slammed it

Latest posts