MOT Exemption - Suspension Changes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOM68

Reaction score
Now then,

Been thinking about lowering the ride height on my bus so it doesn't wallow about and feel like a boat, however I have been looking into the rules around the MOT exemption, (which I am making the most of) and it states if you change the suspension it will make the exemption void, meaning a yearly trip back to the garage. It does however state, 'axles and running gear have been changed to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance' are deemed as being acceptable.

Has anyone spoken to DVLA about this? In my mind if I were to upgrade the suspension it would make the van more stable etc, therefore making it safer, am I just being delusional? Now I know there will be folk out there that will say, "but how will they ever know" however I am a saddo and abide by the rules. :)

TIA

Paul

My first thought is 'why not just MOT it?' ...… especially if you like to abide by the rules

L

The whole mot exempt thing is a load of cobblers, just get it mot’d. Unless of course you have a ramp, jacking beam, shaker plates and brake rollers in your garage at home of course.....

Agree with all of them up there ^^^ Just MOT it, your insurance company will love you if you ever need to make a claim, but if you MOT it, then there is no redress at all. I personally don`t think my van is outside of the latest spec, but I`ll cover all bases and keep on MOTing it just in case. £40 a year for a very nice chunk of piece of mind pie,

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yes please, and I`ll have a slice next year toooo :mrgreen:

why would you consider spending money on lowering a vehicle but not want to pay 30 quid for a mot?

However, to answer your specific question -

My understanding, is that if you retain the original suspension (albeit modified) design then MOT exemption will apply. If you change to a, for example, Red 9 suspension kit then it would be a significant change.

I always caveat this with 'if in doubt get an MOT though'.

Clem said:
However, to answer your specific question -

My understanding, is that if you retain the original suspension (albeit modified) design then MOT exemption will apply. If you change to a, for example, Red 9 suspension kit then it would be a significant change.

I always caveat this with 'if in doubt get an MOT though'.

This is my understanding of the rule changes as well. Adjustable beams, drop spindles, etc are still the original suspension design, albeit modified.
The Red9 kit is a separate subframe, so constitutes a significant change.

Thanks for all the replies. It is something that I am going to look into in more detail.

Back to the original question ,,,, All of this scenario is very new to all of us and nobody to date has fallen foul with any issues arising from a lack of mot so far as far as I`m aware. Just like all that rabble above ^^^ :roll: :roll: :roll: nobody wants to be the first to come unstuck with any issue or implication that an MOT might have legally averted :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, sort of like an extra insurance policy :mrgreen:

Low n slow said:
All i'll say is pre 1960 vehicles have been MOT exempt for years.

And the world is still turning! :lol:

I suspect this issue may raise its ugly head when an insurer uses it as a reason to get out of their obligations

Latest posts