MOT failure. Help!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlowndes

Reaction score
Van failed on the steering having too much free play, but the guy reckoned that the 'steering idler' is worn. I don't really understand what this is and what is involved with repairing/replacing it. The guy has never worked on a camper before.

Any ideas would be great as I'd like to try and do it myself if possibe. It's a 69 bay.

Thanks,
Rich

OK just had a look. The problem is that there's too much play in the idler pin (apparently) though I don't think it's too bad. He has chalked the L shaped metal thing (don't know what thats called), and there's a pin that attaches this to the lower axle beam. I see on the link above that there's a repair kit available (no 22 on the relevant diagram) for £20 but next qestion... How easy is this to replace? It looks as though the pin comes from inside the beam!

http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Camper-Van-Parts/Bus-Parts-1968-79/Steering-Suspension/Steering/?templateID=vwh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich ..

Its not too bad if thats all it failed on .. I would consider it a good year!

The pin drops out (downwards) from the beam when the top arm is removed .. The pin is easy to remove if its that part thats worn .. If its the bushes around the pin which i suspect it would be then these will need to be knocked out and replaced ..

I aint done the bushes myself to be honest but they don't look too bad ..

I sure someone on here has donr them and will advise further ...

Hilly

Ah well it also failed on:
Handbrake needs adjusting as at end of travel.
Headlight not aiming correctly.
Wiper blades
Small bit of welding.

But all those are manageable!

Thanks for your help.
The whole thing looks pretty rusted up so I don't know if I'm going to be able to do it very easily.
Rich

Its not a bad job actually. You can get pretty good access to it and it should all drift out ok (pin,bushes).
Just need to make sure that when you put the top arm back on that you get it lined up correctly or the thread on the pinch bolt will get damaged.
Good luck
M

Latest posts