My 1971 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started to take a spare sliding door bracket apart.
The one on the bus is a rat-looker. I sanded it but forgot to protect it.. :oops:
The technical guys from my work got the bearing of and replaced it with a new one. Thanks boss! :mrgreen:
I'm not sure about the color. Silver or savannnabeige?
schuifdeurbeugel.jpg

Also fitted the mosquito net for my louvrewindow;
IMG_0667.jpg

Also wil be ordering a breatherbox very soon. The engine burps some oily air now and then..

Took the surfbus for a drive last sunday. Unfortunatly i found out that the brake calipers are not opening complete after braking.
Maybe the bleeding of the brakes wasn't done good enough after putting a brake servo in the circuit..
Backt to the garage!
The good think was that i let a friend drive the bus who is interested in buying a camper as well! He's hooked! :mrgreen:

IMG_0745.jpg

Surfbus is back from the paintshop. The damage below the louvrewindow is gone now!
Also the sidecover and the slidingdoor bracket were painted in savannabeige.
April-bus2.jpg

You see the shadows from the trees across my street, but you get the general idea.
April-bus4.jpg

April-bus5.jpg

April-bus6.jpg

Also installed the bamboo rack underneath the dash;
April-bus3.jpg

Installed the breatherbox. I didn't install the hoses to the valvecovers. Just to a small airfilter. The pressure in the engine wasn't that high. Just trying it out as it is. I can always change it in the future!

Breather4.jpg

Went outdoors with the bus and busfriends. Great weather!
Still problems with oil flying around in my enginebay..

AprilDagjeWeg3.jpg

AprilDagjeWeg2.jpg

And then KC (and family) showed up in the nice white Westy;
AprilDagjeWeg4.jpg

Great pictures 8)

You still have no idea where the oil could be coming from then?

gninnam said:
Great pictures 8)

You still have no idea where the oil could be coming from then?

I already talked to somebody on the dutch bayforum. The airfilter i'm using on the breatherbox is the one i used on the normal oil filler. We think it's a bit full with oil because of to much pressure in the engine.
I'm going to put an hose from the breatherbox outside of the enginebay. To be continuid!

Is your bus now braking OK, with the brakeservo.
Does a Golf 3 brakeservo fit straight on a T2 headbrakecilinder?

jbvwt2b said:
Is your bus now braking OK, with the brakeservo.
Does a Golf 3 brakeservo fit straight on a T2 headbrakecilinder?

The bus is braking good. My right front wheel is running hot.... Haven't got the time to bring the bus to the garage.
The Golf 3 brakeservo fits straight on the headbrakecilinder.

Update on the engine; fitted the CSP breatherbox with an hose and filter underneath the bus. Next i need to change the gasket underneath the dynamostand. Always something to do on the bus!

Your sticking caliper may be due to it needing a clean. Muck and corrosion can build up both on the upper sides of the piston and the outer sides of the caliper itself but first check the flexible brake line has not swollen up and is preventing the fluid from returning fully back up the brake lines. If the flexi is bad then replace both sides and check the rears, since when one gets to that age they all tend to go.

As for your breather, changing from a stock breather is treating the symptom rather than the cause - the stock system was connected to the air cleaner for three reasons. The venting of crankcase fumes to atmosphere was no longer allowed. The suction from the inlet system ensured a slight negative pressure in the crankcase which stopped fumes and seepage round the engine pulley, which has no seal. The fumes had to be kept out of the engine bay not just to stop the engine becoming oily over time but to prevent the oily mist from being sucked in by the fan. The mist would collect dirt and eventually reduce the efficiency of the fan, harm the flow of cooling air over the engine and clog the flow of air through the oil cooler. In addition the oil and smell would be piped through the heater and into the cab when the heater was in use.

I would recommend connecting your breather pipe into the top of one of your air filter housings.

If the engine is "burping" oily air then check the baffle plate between the dynamo stand and the crankcase is correctly installed. Louvres must be facing downwards and the openings toward the right. Anything else will cause oil to rise up in the filler/breather area. Its vital.

If after doing these things there is still a problem then the only two causes can be oil level too high or engine compression going into the case due to worn/damaged pistons/rings/bores.

:)

Trikky2 said:
Your sticking caliper may be due to it needing a clean. Muck and corrosion can build up both on the upper sides of the piston and the outer sides of the caliper itself but first check the flexible brake line has not swollen up and is preventing the fluid from returning fully back up the brake lines. If the flexi is bad then replace both sides and check the rears, since when one gets to that age they all tend to go.

As for your breather, changing from a stock breather is treating the symptom rather than the cause - the stock system was connected to the air cleaner for three reasons. The venting of crankcase fumes to atmosphere was no longer allowed. The suction from the inlet system ensured a slight negative pressure in the crankcase which stopped fumes and seepage round the engine pulley, which has no seal. The fumes had to be kept out of the engine bay not just to stop the engine becoming oily over time but to prevent the oily mist from being sucked in by the fan. The mist would collect dirt and eventually reduce the efficiency of the fan, harm the flow of cooling air over the engine and clog the flow of air through the oil cooler. In addition the oil and smell would be piped through the heater and into the cab when the heater was in use.

I would recommend connecting your breather pipe into the top of one of your air filter housings.

If the engine is "burping" oily air then check the baffle plate between the dynamo stand and the crankcase is correctly installed. Louvres must be facing downwards and the openings toward the right. Anything else will cause oil to rise up in the filler/breather area. Its vital.

If after doing these things there is still a problem then the only two causes can be oil level too high or engine compression going into the case due to worn/damaged pistons/rings/bores.

:)

Thanks for your information! I have the late bay calipers due to an sticking original '71 caliper (wich is different from late bay's)
I think it's not the caliper wich is sticking. If i break hard and then drive away in first gear i don't feel anything sticking.. I would love to solve this but i find the brakes difficult. I just want them to brake very good and not make my rightfront wheel run hot!

I have a rebuild1641 cc engine with W100 Engle camshaft, doghouse, 2 single Weber 34 ict's and 009 ignition with electronic points. The amount of oil/pressure isn't much. I saw some oil coming out of the gasket below the dynamostand. So i'm going to change that first.

Connecting your breather pipe into the top of one of your air filter housings.
Will this not give any problems with the air filters? I have repro oldspeed filters.. On this photo the hose and airfilter from the breatherbox are not yet mounted properly.
Breather4.jpg

Is there some way to check this? Or those the engine have to be dismantled?

Thanks again! I'm just doing my best to learn all the technical stuff about my bus so i can repair more myself...

Litle update:

Project from last summer:
Changed the icebox for some kind of custom fridge. Saw this conversion on The Samba. Somebody with a splitty changed his icebox. The idea is to use the lid of an electric coolingbox.The lid houses the coolingpart and the fan. You have to build this in the upper- or side of the coolingbox.

First had to buy a secondhand electric coolingbox:
1y5sgp.jpg

Removed the inside part of the lid. I left a part of the outside part of the lid to be used again against the backwall of the westfalia icebox.
f4g37c.jpg

ounuds.jpg

The back of the westfalia icebox. We removed the foam careful because we receycled part of it.
5vq9lg.jpg

We've chosen to use the backwall because the drawer above it, is in use. And we wouldn't sacrifice it. You can see the backwall with the lid+coolingpart and fan.
2zhfxnr.jpg

We are using electricity on campsites so we placed an inverter (220 volt to 12 volt)
nlwll2.jpg

Inside look:
2aglnvk.jpg

Another view from the back. Between the fridge and the panel is enough space to put the inverter.
zuo6s7.jpg

Jobs started this year;
1) First job started. Removed the rear roofrack for sanding and painting.

2ahfbch.jpg

The rear part of the roof looks empty.

I had a good helper with me!
106hje0.jpg
[/quote]

2) Project interior floor; had some leaking (rain) due to a wrong placed slide door seal.. so the whole floor felt rather soft.
I had to take the interior out first thing.

xmrgab.jpg

Had to losen up this..

Got the r&r bed out.
24l4knr.jpg

And then the vinyl out:
4vns.jpg

Here's the rustdevel ... again!
ilyb0w.jpg

xlkoz9.jpg

I have to get somebody to weld a few small holes in the floor. After that i'll paint the floor with RX5. Wich is especcially for stopping rust. Then back with some nice piece of waterproof plywood and new vinyl.

Update time:

Last summer i got my engine checked and the 2 weber 34 ict carbs adjusted.
It got my 1641 cc 67 bhp en 121 Nm torq.

Finally got the mosquito net-fixing points mounted
2hznvaa.jpg

I used velcro in the corners next to the hinges. Thanks to my handy wife!
2na6251.jpg

We went to Sweden on summerholiday.
IMG_0504_zps7ba75401.jpg

Coffeetime on the road.

IMG_0507_zpsbbc0dbe4.jpg

First stop just over the border in Germany. We live in the northwest of the Netherlands.

IMG_0511_zpsd50040d5.jpg

Readersclub on the road.

IMG_0522_zps5834c116.jpg

Packing the van on the campsite just outside Copenhagen, Denmark.

IMG_0523_zps3993fdb5.jpg

First day we drove till Copenhagen, Denmark. After a stopover we drove to Sweden.

IMG_0528_zps54e499e0.jpg

First we went to Varberg on the westcoast for a few days.

IMG_0546_zpsb799710c.jpg

Spotted an early bay in Varberg. Belonged to a surfschool.

IMG_0550_zps45301b69.jpg

Castle in Varberg.

IMG_0635_zps50d9a1cc.jpg

And then off to see my Aunt and Uncle. They live just above the 2 big lakes in the middle of Sweden. And we camped in their garden!

IMG_0648_zpsf8e4def4.jpg

Spotted a beetle at a gasstation.

IMG_0651_zps059b5ec3.jpg

From there we travelled a week with my parents and their T5 together.
IMG_0655_zps88ad4e97.jpg

IMG_0659_zps6e9e5a7b.jpg

Camping in Tiveden.
IMG_0707_zpsc66d5c1b.jpg

Transporters on the roadside.
IMG_0710_zps4ed26f51.jpg

So nice to have a Dormobile roof!
IMG_0728_zpsacd4f679.jpg

Camping in Granna.
IMG_0737_zps39750c28.jpg

IMG_0809_zps56f8bee2.jpg

Last week we drove around in South-Sweden.

IMG_0840_zpsfaf5e6b9.jpg

Find the bus!
IMG_0843_zps67dc00fe.jpg

Find the surfer! (yes, it's me!)
IMG_0852_zps86fe9b07.jpg

IMG_0860_zps5d29194f.jpg

IMG_0870_zps86b5057f.jpg

IMG_0875_zpsf2bac305.jpg

IMG_0877_zps65e1fdff.jpg

IMG_0878_zpsbb1a91a1.jpg

Most southern tip of Sweden.
IMG_0923_zpsb0f6c30a.jpg

We drove from Sweden to Legoland, Billund in Dennemarken.

IMG_0940_zps12b636ec.jpg

After one day in Legoland we drove back to the Netherlands in 1 day.

IMG_0993_zps923768c8.jpg

Bored in the back....

IMG_0994_zps8f97e446.jpg

No problems with the bus in 3 weeks time. Just some oil.
The bus petrolusage was 1 litre/ 9 km.

The bus is currently in hibernation... Almost summertime again!

Latest posts