My 1971 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dubscum said:
surfbus you lines look really clean and straight ! nice to see the kids enjoying too !

Yeah, they are real addicted to the bus! :mrgreen:

I did a refill on the braking fluid today. Also a photo from the bus in his (her?) winterhome:

IMG_0105.jpg

Awesome bus dude.

Tell me, what have you used to hang the curtains over the dormy roof windows?
Just bought myself a 1970 & wouldn't mind doing something similar.

Last summer i bought a pair Weber 34 ICT carbs with some worn out bushes (the ones on the throttle-shaft). It makes the engine run a bit bad.. So last week i finally started to dismantle one of the carbs.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

I also bought a very handy book!

IMG_0235.jpg

These screws have to come loose!

ICTdiagrampijl.jpg

The bushes are marked with the red arrow.

On the dutch bay-forum Dirty Harry offered to help me out with replacing the bushes and check the other parts of the carbs. I asked him about placing a fuel regulator because the Weber carbs like lesser pressure than the (standard) fuelpump will give. It wouldn't be nessary if the float needles close perfect.
Here's a photo of his own oldspeed baywindow engine:

DSC01111.jpg

What kind of manifolds are you guys using on Weber 34 ICT carbs? Dirty Harry thinks my current manifolds are to low.

This weekend i went to the Springmeeting from the dutch bayclub VCT2.
The friday was rainy and a bit cold. The rest of the weekend was having better weather and some nice bays!

Rainy-Day.jpg

Rainy friday.

Takke-bussen.jpg

Lucht.jpg

Early-threesome.jpg

Yes, early bays!

DISCO.jpg

Children's disco!!

Rolling-Kees.jpg

Westy Kees (photo by Eveline)

Below some rolling shot photos from the Surfbus made by Daphne;

SurfbusBehind.jpg

SurfbusA7.jpg

surfbusCruising.jpg

My son Joris is peeking behind a curtain!

Time for an update:

OudeKoplampringen.jpg

I replaced these bad headlight rings (made in Brasil) for these:

Busfront-juni-2010.jpg

Headlights need some more adjustment.

Klusplek.jpg

The chaos i had to make to install an Hella switch for my extra spotlights. But i made it!
Now i just need an longer elektra wire to make the control-light for the Hella switch work.

Last weekend a busfriend did some wrenching in the enginebay of my Surfbus:

Moterkaal.jpg

Stripped engine.

Earlys.jpg

The workspace.

There wasn't enough space to fit the oldskool/okrassa-style airfilters. This is because of the fact that i have the "doghouse"-coolhousing. I'm going to make some tubes wich wil fit on the carbs and on the airfilters. I will make them just long enough to fit along the coolinghouse. And then i'll post a photo of it. I don't like the modern airfilters wich are on it now!

Last week, the Surfbus made it in a national newspaper(called NRC Next).
It 's for a daily article about people an their holidays in a VW bus (duh..)

BusinNRcNext.jpg

Haven't found tubes for my oldspeed filters. Lack of time and luck... So weird, i live in a coastal town with a fishing and a offshire industry. Put i cand find the right tubes... :evil:

We've spend a few weekends away with the Surfbus. So easy when you have a camperconversion!
Some photos..

We went to Texel, it's one of the bigger islands in the Netherlands.

BusTexel2.jpg

BusTexel3.jpg

The view from the lighthouse. Where's the Surfbus?

BusTexel1.jpg

In the fields with a lot of sheeps!

And another weekend we met up with some busfriends of ours.

IMG_7960.jpg

wknd-T2a2.jpg

The neighbours and us.

wknd-T2a3.jpg

It wasn't the best weahter but good enough.

wknd-T2a1.jpg

wknd-T2a5.jpg

Another bay following us.... to late!

Last week the Surfbus went to the garage to get a brakeservo from a VW Golf 3, reposition the oiltemperature-sensor from underneath the engine to the rear and fine-tune the engine. That's what started some more...
The engine had an oilleakage because of worn rubber seals on the bottom of the oilcooler. So that got fixed..
Because i want oldspeed airfilters i had the coolhouse (the doghouse-model) changed for one in 30 bhp-style. Now i have room for the airfilters and in the future i can fit Riechtert carbs very easily!
Also there is a VW sport exhaust fitted. Looks like the beetle exhaust but helps the engine breath better.
Monday i'm going to fit oldspeed airfilters an take some photo's.

IMG_0497.jpg

moter.jpg

There is a 30 bhp style coolhouse fitted, wich is actually a doghouse. It gives space to fit the oldspeed airfilters. And in the future i can fit Riechtert carbs easily!

Remservo.jpg

And a golf 3 brakeservo was fitted. The surfbus now stops better than my daily driver!

Uitlaat.jpg

VW sportexhaust... bit more vroemmmm!

Latest posts