my 1971 sunroof deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bus has now passed its MOT, I am hoping to be at Dubs in the Park
DSC00173.jpg

Just need to get her registered now.

Picture from the other angle:

DSC00169.jpg
[/img]

I am going to keep her original paint.
There are quite a few stone chips on the front panel, thought I would clean them up with T Cut then give the area a damn good waxing.

Passed MOT second time, just send all docs to DVLA to register her, so hopefully will be on the road in about 10 days time.
Wont make dubs in the park sadly as it took DVLA 10 days just to put a form V55/5 in the post to me!

GRRR

Marcus

This is the second Early bay I have had from California.
They have both been straight as you like and rust free but because the US vehicle inspection isnt exactly demanding there is a fair bit of catch up woprk to do.
Luckily I have a mate, who has been able to sort out the following:

fit RHD lights, sort out messy wiring, fit an engine, the sunroof has been a pig and the seal sent by bus depot doesnt fit.

Fiddling round with keys to get one fitting all doors, replaced ignition and lock.
Replaced tyres, taken apart brakes replaced wheel cylinders and shoes.
Changed brake hoses, fuel hose.
New battery, cv gaiters, removed and decrudded drive shafts.
sort out horn straighten bumper.
Sort out slack steering steering box. replace servo, sort out speedo
all sorts of probs getting second hand engine to run.
Will need to repace various bits of perished rubber esp cab door seals.
The roof lining and seat covers are a mess and need to be done still.

Still at least it will be done properly and be safe.
Next important thing is to fit good quality inertial reel seatbelts

Well done mate.

The van is looking great :wink:

The man off the samba you dealt with whats his name on there as i'm thinking of importing myself!

Thanks

Scamp :wink:

Hi scampi
His user name is "nid" on the Samba, but that was his private van, he does not source buses. Top bloke to deal with and the bus was exactly as described.
I just took a chance a bought it off the photos he sent. I figured he was a regular poster on the site and when we spoke he sounded decent.
I know its not recommended but I figured for the money even if it was a bit of a lemon I could offload it.

Marcus

Liking the van, but still a bit of work to do before road legal then :?:

Colour (with it being a yank tank, 'spose that should be 'Color' :lol: )looks great tho' :D

Latest news
I have had an engine and freeway flyer box from Powerhaus in the US built.

100_1130.jpg

[/img]
100_1131.jpg

Its a 1914 dual webber motor, approx 120 to 130 hp, so she should shift some.

Also the bus is stripped and the front rust repair sorted,managed to match up the OG paint pretty well, now we are moving on to the interior, headlining, new seat covers and sorting out that sunroof.

IMG_2155_3.jpg

[/img]
R0012269_2.jpg

My mate Sacha in Hungary is doing the work. I will go out and collect her in April, should be a fun drive back. Drive out wasnt!

looks so sweet im jealous :twisted: , what you saved on the bus you spent o the engine and box, very very nice indeed 8)

Can't beat a sunroof deluxe. Looks like you got a bargain compared to what I paid for mine! 8)

Thanks for the kind words guys.
By the way if anyone knows a source for part number 14 for the sunroof on this diagram:

Sunroofdiagram.jpg

Looks like this in real life:
PICT0009.jpg

I will be eternally grateful.
I am trying to get a fully functioning sunroof again.

I have tried a couple of Salvage yards in the US but no luck so far.

Marcus